Ground Loop

Ben Holmes

I am using a Mackie Pro FX 16 mixer connected to my custom PC by usb. My Mbox is used as my interface and the stereo outs go back to my Mackie. And then out to my stereos aux inputs. I have an MPC 2500, a Casio WK3800, a Roland Juno-G, an American Audio turntable, and an Alesis Micron I use as a MIDI controller. Before, I would have to take the chords out of the instrument I was playing and plug them into a different instrument to only record on the In 1-2 on the Mbox. I got tired of this and wanted to be able to keep them all connected which is why I got the Mackie. Ever since, I have a buzz coming through when I turn up either my MPC or my Juno G (The only two I have connected to the mixer at this time). I have a bay of 12 grounded plugs that most of my equipment is plugged into. 4 more grounded plugs on another wall that my MPC and Juno G are plugged into as well as my turntable and CD player which can be connected to the MPC. My computer is plugged into a different set of two grounded plugs. This all sounds very confusing to me so I hope I have given enough information for some good engineer to come by and help. Thank you

Are you using balanced wires to connect your sound card and mixer? If not, that's the first step. It also helps to have everything plugged into one AC power outlet if possible.

--Ethan

I had a similiar issue no matter how I connected everything and all my plugs were grounded. I bought a ground loop isolater and it took out the hum I was getting through my Yamaha speakers. I inserted it between my Steinberg MR-816CSX and my monitor selector switch. Worked a treat.

Back