Great White manager gets 4 years in prison

SonicClang

Part 4720981 coming soon!
The former manager of Great White was just sentenced to 4 years in prison for the Rhode Island fire at The Station.

Story here

Just a reminder to keep your studio safe. Build safely people, this could happen to you.

I just saw a show on that.

It was the egg-crate foam that once on fire, smoke suffocated everyone.
The place was floor to ceiling flammable egg-packing foam!!

the sparks of the show's flash pods or whatevr their called caught the Foam on fire.
Apparently the heat and toxic smoke filled the room very quickly.

Neeldess to say I have an entirely different look at the packing-cheap-foam in the studio full of electronic gadgets!

I've known for years that it's very dangerous to use cheap foam. Not only is it doing nothing for the acoustics of a room, but it's flamable. When I saw the video inside the place I knew exactly what caused the fire and massive number of deaths.

You know, The owners (allegedly) gave permission and knew that the foam wasn't fire retardent. I say they are just as much to blame as the manager guy. At least he had the balls to fess up and plead guilty. Those club owners are cowards and liars. They should get no less that the same punishment.

I think the people who sold the club the products for "soundproofing" should also be changred for selling them false, and hazardous "soundproofing" materials.

> The owners (allegedly) gave permission and knew that the foam wasn't fire retardent. I say they are just as much to blame as the manager guy <

> I think the people who sold the club the products for "soundproofing" should also be changred for selling them false, and hazardous "soundproofing" materials. <

I agree completely. Are any of those people going to be tried too?

--Ethan

Ethan Winer said:
> The owners (allegedly) gave permission and knew that the foam wasn't fire retardent. I say they are just as much to blame as the manager guy <

> I think the people who sold the club the products for "soundproofing" should also be changred for selling them false, and hazardous "soundproofing" materials. <

--Ethan

Ethan,

Yes they are, I read a news story where the owners are pleading not guilty to around 200 counts of manslaughter and attempted manslaughter. The managers trial is over so quickly because he pleaded guilty. He was remoursful (apparently).

We shall see what the owners get.

The manager could have gotten a max of 10 years.

SonicClang said:
I've known for years that it's very dangerous to use cheap foam. Not only is it doing nothing for the acoustics of a room, but it's flamable. When I saw the video inside the place I knew exactly what caused the fire and massive number of deaths.

This post deserves a Pulitzer, and should be read often.

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
You're joking of course? Imagine curtains catching fire. Which will burn off quick. However, imagine another scenario.

You have 12 fabric covered panels on the walls, and 2 fabric covered clouds on the ceiling.
Like most HR enthusiasts, you also have designed your room for recording, not safety. You also didn't get a permit/inspection when installing the electrical. Not being an electrician, you inadvertantly place two out of phase circuits in the same room. One of these is a 15 amp lighting circuit fed from an adjacent room outlet, tied with an outlet in the studio to feed the musicians equipment. You also didn't use a lever latchset on the door, but managed to put a double keyed deadbolt which you lock when recording, but do not think ahead and remove the key.
You have 4 people, a set of drums, 3 amps, your recording gear and various other things in a small room. Unaware that the circuit you tied into for the lights is also feeding a freezer in the next room which was installed by the previous owner also without permit. However, he tied in the circuit with a j'box and a 14 gauge extension cord. You must pass through this room, which the previous owner added to the house, to get into the studio.
The musicians are playing, you are recording, and the freezer compressor kicks on. Unbeknownst to you, the circuit is holding, but the 14 ga wire is overheating at a cable clamp in the J box. At some point, the extention cord vinyl jacket melts, and the conductors short together and arc...oops, the previous owner didn't put a cover on the J box either, which allows the arc ignite the adjacent wood chips from drilling a hole in a stud for the wire. Now, when the wires shorted, it throws the circuit breaker that feeds your lights as well as the musicians equipment too. The music stops as does the light. Well, this is a studio, and you have no windows, but you do have total darkness now. Hmmm, whats going on.
You tell the musicians to hold on while you check the breaker. You fumble around looking for the key to the deadbolt. Hmmm, its not in your pocket. Now what did you do with that key. Hmmm, 5 minutes pass while you fumble around in the dark trying to feel for the key you set someplace. Wait,. what is that? You smell something...Meanwhile..

the fire easily climbs the stud, as he also didn't bother to nail in a fireblock in the wall. Nor did he use drywall as a shiething. Since this was "only" a utility room, he used 1/8 ply with a vinyl coating. Ahhhh, but you used 2 layers 1/2" drywall with a 45 minute fire rating each on your side of the wall. Now the fire easily burns through the ply and spreads. The whole wall in the adjacent room is now on fire, as the vinyl melts filling the room with viscious hot smoke which is now spreading to other areas of the house. Now it burns through the 1/8 ply ceiling, and fills the attic smoke, and the structural framing catches fire now.

Meanwhile the musicians are smelling smoke and begin to yell and panic, as they are in the dark and get disoriented. One finds his way to the door and grasps the knob which is now 400 degrees, blistering his hand. He screams in pain, turns and trips over a cord and falls, blocking the small aisle between the drums and an amp. The rest of the musicians are totally panicing as are you. Now you find the key, but are unaware of the fire burning through the wall at the joints in the drywall, which were not even taped. Simply covered with mud. The fire now reaches a nylon fabric covered absorber panel. It burst into flames, lighting the room, while all the musicians are beginning to cough and scream, which no one hears because of sound Transmission loss construction. Now the fire jumps to the ceiling panels which allow melting nylon to drip on the people below, lighting their clothing on fire, and sticking to skin. Screams fill the air while you try to get to the door..which is blocked by the others...you scream to get out of the way to unlock the door, which you are unaware is engulfed in flames on the opposite side. You make it to the door and try to insert the key, only to burn your hand on the deadbolt housing...you scream as you try to insert the key without touching the housing again....luck is with you, and the key turns...but now you have to grab the latch handle and turn it..without thinking you grab it.......screaming again...if only you had used a LEVER latch set..........you now are being overwhelmed by the others, who are clamboring over you to get out, one who is now screaming from the clothing on fire..wrestling on the floor to put it out...total panic...you grab the handle again from total fear regardless of the heated latch..it instantly burns your hand but you quickly turn it, only to have the backdraft of the fire blow the door open and knocks everyone back....there is no escape...the room is totally engulfed in flames.........

Improbable if not mpossible you say....think again.. people die every year from Murphy induced scenarios mostly caused by non inspection of electrical and ignored building code construction. Add flamable materials on walls and ceilings and you add to the probability that someone may get hurt, especially in closed off spaces with only a door for egress, such as a studio. No wonder you have to get a special permit for NO WINDOW construction.

Murphy is ALWAYS around, just waiting for the slightest lack of forethought,
laziness, or just plain stupidity. Just ask those who buried their loved ones because of it.
fitZ :)

Ethan Winer said:

--Ethan
I think i read that the owners are, and that guy got done for 100 deaths(manslaughter), but the owners are going to be tried for 200 each. Some law thing... :confused:

I soldered every spot any wires were wire nutted in a junction box. The thing that creates heat (besides overloading a circuit) is loose connections. I've been so paranoid about fire ever since I bought this house that I pretty much over did everything having to do with the electricals. I'm not taking any chances.

I also do not plan on using any flamable materials on my walls and ceilings.

SonicClang said:
I soldered every spot any wires were wire nutted in a junction box. The thing that creates heat (besides overloading a circuit) is loose connections.

Clang speaks the truth. You wouldn't believe how many times I come across sloppy electrical connections and the evidence of high temperatures. It should scare all of us. One thing to help piece of mind is AFCI (Arc Fault Protection) circuit breakers. They're a little spendy but IMO well worth the investment.

When Rick first posted his worst case situation, it scared the hell out of me. It should scare the hell out of anyone. I could totally see it happen in our studio. Emergency lighting and fire supression tools should be mandatory in all our studios. Two weeks ago we had a Black Face Twin in the studio. After about an hour, I could smell something too hot. A minute later she smoked and blew a few arcs out the back. Our sound room is finished with 100 year old barnwood with fabric underneath it. Luckily nothing caught but immediately I thought of Rick's post. Two fire squiters and one battery back-up cateye later, I'm feeling alot better. Thanks Rick!

I have a fire extinguisher in my studio. :)

Also, I don't have any locks OR latches on my studio doors, only door closers. They can easily be opened from the inside or outside. And there is no connection between the handles on either side of the doors, so no potential for heat transfer.

I don't agree with the "manufacturer" getting sued? unless there is more to it.

I saw videos of the bar before, and it was a crappy looking shithole place.

A slap some foam on the wall looking job.........
the bar owner probably went to dumpsters and grabbed foam and glued it from floor to ceiling, was my impression from the video. A horrible DIY job.

I don't use FLASH PODS in my studio,
but $15 fire alarm, $20 fire extinguisher........probably a good idea.

my old band "Point.08" headlined the Station just about every weekend...and let me tell you...that was some cheap ass foam.
It was no surprise to me when i heard what happened...just i thank god that i wasnt there on that particular night.
I have plenty of photos of us up on that stage that shows just what that foam was.
If anyones interested to see some pics..i could dig em out for ya's.

Back