gobo questions

liv_rong

Knows very little
So I still have a bit of leftover unfaced oc703 that I want to use up. I want to build a couple gobos with some of it but have a few questions. Should I build them with a solid back or build them open? I was going to use just one layer of 2". Should I make them 4" instead? My plan was to use them around an amp or two or my drums to help isolate them from each other a bit when recording live stuff. I also want to mess around with different placements for various placement of amps and mics while recording.

I'd go 4" (at least). Lots of ways to skin 'em otherwise -- Favorites included using a pegboard "frame" in between two layers.

So I still have a bit of leftover unfaced oc703 that I want to use up. I want to build a couple gobos with some of it but have a few questions. Should I build them with a solid back or build them open? I was going to use just one layer of 2". Should I make them 4" instead? My plan was to use them around an amp or two or my drums to help isolate them from each other a bit when recording live stuff. I also want to mess around with different placements for various placement of amps and mics while recording.

From all of my research and discussion with people that build studios for a living, the less you close off any sound absorbing material, the better it functions. Closing off one side reduces the ability for it to absorb reflections from walls behind.

I have never looked into the use of gobos and trying to limit transfer of sound between gobos (isolation). I suppose I can't give any advice here. I'll just learn from what you find.

Best! :)

Yeah...I've seen gobos with one hard side...I think they are useful when you like have a couple of players next to each other, so you build a gobo isolated space with the absorption side facing inward, and the hard side outward...then the next player's gobo is that same way, so that the two hard walls are facing each other, and that help keep each players sound more in their area.

I've also seen some cool ones that are convertible...so you can take off a hard surface cover, and you get the absorptive material on both sides.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with some leftover OC703, for the same purpose.

I think going 6" would be good. 1x6 lumber, make a box, cover 1 side, insert insulation, cover the other side. Easier said than done, I'm a horrible carpenter.

Not rel' to the acoustics but I have often mused that a gobo could do double duty as a mains diss board and a have a back to back XLR setup (maybe 2 or 6?) .

Seems to me, when you have boxed in the noisy b'std guitarist he will still need power and you need to get his mic signal out. MUCH neater to have them go to him via his side of the board and your feeds from tother?

Headphone jack and VC?

Ok! Ok! Not had brekky and meds yet!

Dave.

Not rel' to the acoustics but I have often mused that a gobo could do double duty as a mains diss board and a have a back to back XLR setup (maybe 2 or 6?) .

Seems to me, when you have boxed in the noisy b'std guitarist he will still need power and you need to get his mic signal out. MUCH neater to have them go to him via his side of the board and your feeds from tother?

Headphone jack and VC?

Ok! Ok! Not had brekky and meds yet!

Dave.

Dave, you are such a tech savvy guy and obviously super intelligent. Why is it that myself and 'spell check' have such a struggle understanding your typing? :D

Dave, you are such a tech savvy guy and obviously super intelligent. Why is it that myself and 'spell check' have such a struggle understanding your typing? :D

"Two great nations separated......."!

Sorry! I shall try to be less colloquial!

Err? Would a picture help at all?

Dave.

Back