Glass Vocal booth

When you do first reflections, don't forget the ceiling...clouds are important, too!
BTW, my bass traps are charcoal gray and burgundy...VERY sexy.

You didn't give us the overall dimensions of the room, but if the scale of you/desk and sofa are any indication, this room is about 7ft x 12ft? If you put a 'booth' in it, then it'll be that much smaller. Do you really think anyone in your country is going to take you seriously with a room this small?

As i said earlier,even the producer here has small booth half the red foam booth i attached earlier...all what they care about is your stud lookin like the pros...they don't even care about the mic you use if its even $30 they don't care...as an artiste myself i have been to so many studios and not even one is larger than the one i wanna build...but they get great vocals..i mean great...when record my tracks i come for the engineer to mix but one day i recorded in a stud i had to sleep there cos it was late in the night...i got the chance to listen to my vocals and it was boxy as you are saying,but after the mix i think that is my best vox recorded or mixed...

i come for the engineer to mix (...) i got the chance to listen to my vocals [raw tracks] and it was boxy (...) but after the mix i think that is my best vox recorded or mixed...
If you are dead set about recording things in a less-than-ideal way (vocals in a tiny glass booth, for instance), hire that engineer. He's apparently very good at fixing things in the mix - and you'll need a lot of that.

If you are dead set about recording things in a less-than-ideal way (vocals in a tiny glass booth, for instance), hire that engineer. He's apparently very good at fixing things in the mix - and you'll need a lot of that.

am, not into recording in a tiny booth but i don't get it why most people record in such small booths but get great results

i got the chance to listen to my vocals and it was boxy

These are your own words. It sounded like shit but someone saved it. Doesn't that tell you something?

Dude, no offense but you're being stubborn and rather stupid. I'm not saying you are stupid, but in this, you're BEING totally stupid. Sorry.

These are your own words. It sounded like shit but someone saved it. Doesn't that tell you something?

Dude, no offense but you're being stubborn and rather stupid. I'm not saying you are stupid, but in this, you're BEING totally stupid. Sorry.

I know am being stubborn and stupid as u may say but what am saying is i didn't know all my recordings at these studios were boxy before mixing because it all sounded great...so i thought its like that untill the night incident happenned

I know am being stubborn and stupid
Well, that's the first step to recovery. :D

It's all good, man. Didn't mean to insult you. But it needed to be said.

Now, having said that, I have to say that I've loosened my stance on a lot of things that I was very rigid about. If you (think you) need a booth, and you can make it work, then go for it. Maybe just having one will give you the confidence to sing better, in which case it's worth having just for that reason alone.

I've come to the conclusion that it's talent first, ears and mixing skills second, and the all the technical stuff last. I've heard people make great recordings, only to be surprised when they said it was done in their bedroom and they never even heard of "room treatment". But their instrument/voice sounded good, and they had great ears to allow them to mix what they had properly.

On the other hand, I've heard recordings by people who are the first to talk about proper room treatment, top of the line gear, and all the technical stuff, etc...but their recordings are horrible. Either because they can't play/sing well, or their songs are shit, or they have horrible ears and judgement. So, basically, nothing frickin' matters more than a good song recorded by someone with a good voice/instrument, mixed by someone with good ears.

So.....good luck with whatever you decide. :cool:

Last edited:
Yh a guy came here from the states who to advertise his studio on a national tv by saying all ghanaians studios are home studios but his looks like Dr.dre...thankfully one of ma guys recorded there but what shocked me first was the track sounded like it wasn't even mixed

Kind of on topic, I recently watched "Mind Games" on TV and they asked peoples opinion on two cake samples. The cakes were priced $15 and $55. Everyone picked the more expensive cake even though they were identical. Even after being let in on the "secret" Most still said the more expensive cake was better. We have conditioned ourselves to think more expensive offers better value or quality. That's sometimes true but often doesn't make a difference. I helped a friend with his car stereo that sounded worse than crap but he was stoked cause it was "big name".
Hopefully we home recordists are confident using whatever we can afford to the best of our abilities. And of course learning more all the time (and purchasing more as the wife permits!).
Many years ago I impressed some friends with my record(!) collection. They never questioned the Radio Shack 15 watt receiver pumping out a great sound with a little EQ added.

Back