Gik Acoustics and refection point issue

tommymyst1

Hello there. Have a question. The right side of my studio wall has a built in shelf that can't be removed cause it's part of the wall. I am going to buy Gik 244 panels for my reflection points but they will not fit if I attach them to my wall because of this shelf. So I thought I would buy the stands they offer for those panels for just the right side of my all. Would it be an issue since the 244 Panel's will be about 9 inches away from my wall? Any advice will be great.
Thanks in advance.

I'm actually looking to add something similar to my studio. I spoke with GIK last week about adding some of the 244 bass traps (or maybe the monster bass trap) with their limiter panel option, as a way of focusing only on the very low end without absorbing any more of the mids/highs, which the limiter option does when added to the traps.

My thing was that I have no plans to mount them on the walls...but rather I want to have them portable so I can bring them in behind my mix position when mixing, and remove them use them elsewhere (like maybe as gobos) when tracking.
They would have to be at least 2' from the wall when I have them placed behind my mix positions, and on stands (I am planning to build my own, as I don't like the look of the tubular metal stands they have available). It was stated that they may not work as effectively that far away from the wall...or at least GIK has not tested them in that position....but from my perspective, that is the only place I could have them, and they will provide more low end trapping than I already have, regardless if it's not as much as their wall-mounted testing shows.

Also, be aware that their traps have no backing material, since they are intended for wall or ceiling mounting where you never see the back...so in my case (and maybe yours too)...I will be ordering some extra cloth and I will cover the backs, that way they will work and look nice away from walls and in any gobo use. GIK will gladly sell a few yards of extra cloth...but apparently they don't want to install it...but no big deal, a staple gun and some care, and I can do that myself.

So...you can call GIK and discuss your situation in more detail, but that's the gist of it...their tests/measurements are for wall or very near wall mounting. Anything else deviates form that...but again, something is better than nothing...IMO.
I already have plenty of broadband trapping, so for me it's a more focused use. In your case, if that's all you have AFA trapping, it might need more than a couple of panels to make up for the placement...?

I'm actually looking to add something similar to my studio. I spoke with GIK last week about adding some of the 244 bass traps (or maybe the monster bass trap) with their limiter panel option, as a way of focusing only on the very low end without absorbing any more of the mids/highs, which the limiter option does when added to the traps.

My thing was that I have no plans to mount them on the walls...but rather I want to have them portable so I can bring them in behind my mix position when mixing, and remove them use them elsewhere (like maybe as gobos) when tracking.
They would have to be at least 2' from the wall when I have them placed behind my mix positions, and on stands (I am planning to build my own, as I don't like the look of the tubular metal stands they have available). It was stated that they may not work as effectively that far away from the wall...or at least GIK has not tested them in that position....but from my perspective, that is the only place I could have them, and they will provide more low end trapping than I already have, regardless if it's not as much as their wall-mounted testing shows.

Also, be aware that their traps have no backing material, since they are intended for wall or ceiling mounting where you never see the back...so in my case (and maybe yours too)...I will be ordering some extra cloth and I will cover the backs, that way they will work and look nice away from walls and in any gobo use. GIK will gladly sell a few yards of extra cloth...but apparently they don't want to install it...but no big deal, a staple gun and some care, and I can do that myself.

So...you can call GIK and discuss your situation in more detail, but that's the gist of it...their tests/measurements are for wall or very near wall mounting. Anything else deviates form that...but again, something is better than nothing...IMO.
I already have plenty of broadband trapping, so for me it's a more focused use. In your case, if that's all you have AFA trapping, it might need more than a couple of panels to make up for the placement...?

You can also use a FreeStanding Bass Trap as well, which have smaller feet and stand at 5 feet tall, but do please give us a call and we are happy to chat

Yes, I already spoke with you guys, and the free standing is "lighter" in its low-end trapping properties than your 244, and I understood that it can't have the limiter.

I need at least what the 244 w/limiter can do for the low end. Monster is just too thick for my needs, but of course would do even more.

I'll be calling again in the next week or so to get things finalized and ordered.

Back