Garage Studio (PICS INCLUDED)

Bass40

Hey, Well I'm currently going to set up my home studio in my garage...But since. I dont have much additional money to have someone build it for me, I'm going to do it but I need some help me since I have lack of experience.

I attached pictures of my garage (Please excuse the mess thats in it)
I haven't sized up the garage quite yet, so dimensions of the garage will be available soon.

So, from the pics I have provided.. what do you think I should do to the garage.

--
I record r&b and rab, So I'm going to want a control area and a booth area.. ( i was thinking maybe whisper room? anyone with experience?

Pics are below. Not enough pics? I'll take more by request.

http://img420.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1bn3.jpg
https://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2756/2vr8.jpg
https://img161.imageshack.us/img161/8744/3mi4.jpg

I would not break it up into two spaces - you'll be happier in larger room.
Spend the money on treating one large room instead of a tiny booth and
a cramped control room.

how close are the neighbors? if they are very close at all, you are going to have to think about room within room construction... which will get much more complicated than you had probably anticipated, and take away more
room than you wish. (rap, with the heavy subsonics, will be very difficult to control, both from the standpoint of bass traps and soundproofing.)

what are the dimensions of the space; how are you fixed for a/c, heat?
got a couple of breakers available? what sort of budget are you working with?

jsut some of the obvious questions.

cheers
C>

chugheshc said:
I would not break it up into two spaces - you'll be happier in larger room.
Spend the money on treating one large room instead of a tiny booth and
a cramped control room.

how close are the neighbors? if they are very close at all, you are going to have to think about room within room construction... which will get much more complicated than you had probably anticipated, and take away more
room than you wish. (rap, with the heavy subsonics, will be very difficult to control, both from the standpoint of bass traps and soundproofing.)

what are the dimensions of the space; how are you fixed for a/c, heat?
got a couple of breakers available? what sort of budget are you working with?

jsut some of the obvious questions.

cheers
C>

Yea, see I was thinking the neighbors will be a problem and the garage don't have a a/c - heat or anything.. So i woudlnt want a fan or heater making noise right.... Their are breakers available though.... Ummm, I was thinking itll be easier to set it up in my room.. But my room is close to another person's.. but hey what can i do..

The best thing to do is extend the walls out about a foot if not less, read up on some isolation techniques when extending the walls, theres certain ways to do it i just forgot exactly what to do haha, but make sure you angle the walls so there are no parallel walls then just do the regular treatment stuff but if you isolate the garage you won't have to worry as much about neighbors because although it won't be "sound proof" it'll absorb a lot of the sound and when you treat it you'll pick up all the frequencies good

Garage doors are worse than residential walls as far as sound leakage is concerned. Not to mention the obvious like you said. NO heat, air, and the biggie of all...its a rental, which means you can't really modify anything. I'd bite the bullet and use the bedroom. Monitor in headphones...rap softly :rolleyes:

Kind of sounds like headphones are the way to go, in your room.
You can also work much more easily if you are not freezing or sweating. (no hvac in that garage, as you have specified)

If you get some small monitors, you can at least get an idea of what
your stuff will sound like, just use them when no one else is home.

Whatever sort of furniture you have in your room will likely absorb some
of the reflections, and like you said, if you are going to be mostly solo or duo,
you really don't need that much space, or need to spend the money making the space habitable.

get to work on it, no one ever made beautiful music typing stuff here!

cheers
C.

Yea.. I hate mixing in headphones though.. I always hear things differently...
But thats not the problem.. from 5am-7pm Im always hear by myself.. i can just monitor through the headphones when I am recording..

Back