Freestanding (Portable) Acoustic Panels

aspsa

Greetings.

As is typical, I have a smallish room (approximately 12' L x 12' W x 9' H). In planning a move down the road, I do not want to commit to purchasing wall-and ceiling-mounted absorption panels, bass traps, diffusors, etc. until I move to a new location. In the past I saw some manufactured solutions that involved placing freestanding absorption panels around the mix position. Yes, I also probably will cave into purchasing ceiling-mounted absorption panels over the mix position.

Has anyone on this forum adopted this temporary stop-gap solution? Obviously, I am not seeking a pristine acoustic environment; just something that works reasonably well in the short term for near-field monitoring and that has an economical price tag.

Your recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.

You can make (or buy) 2'x4'x4" bass traps that can hang from hooks, or make little 'feet' for them so they are free standing.

If you don't want to make your own...GIK Acoustics has ready-made free-standing panels.
I actually have considered them myself for one area where I don't want something permanent.

If you talk to them...they can pretty much make whatever you need to fit your space.

Thanks for your replies, and, yes, I've investigated a few acoustics products companies including GIK Acoustics. However, I am interested in knowing if anyone on this list actually adopted this approach and can provide the pros/cons of using freestanding acoustic panels as a temporary acoustic environment for mixing.

I move a couple of my traps around when I'm recording acoustic guitar to shield the mics from street sounds or reverb from the next room. People do similar things all the time.

I use a couple of GIK's bifold screens, and I love them. It gives flexibility to the room acoustics. If it's too roomy, I can move them to form a sort of vocal booth. When I record drums, I can place them to minimize slap-back off the walls. When I play electric guitar or mix, I can fold them, put them in the corners, and they do a small amount of bass trapping. They're not thick enough to do much bass trapping when free-standing, so I don't think that I would want to rely entirely on them. If you made them thick enough to effectively absorb bass reflections, they'd probably be bulky and awkward to move easily.

Back