Framing for new build

chromaticstatic

I will start discussion with my architect soon on my detached new build, in my backyard. I am using it as a songwriting studio, and want to soundproof for the likelihood of adding drums down the line.

I posted about it here previously. Most of the videos online show rooms/basements being repurposed, creating floating floor/etc. I want to know if the framing needs to be any different with a new build.

My plan is to use 2x6 with rock wool insulation, and resilient channel with double drywall.

-does this sound sufficient, anything I need to also consider?
-anything wrong with leaving an untreated concrete floor (aside from adding carpeting/rugs)?

The most important thing is to make sure your architect has a copy of this book
Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros: Amazon.co.uk: Rod Gervais: 9781435457171: Books

Your architect is an expert at structures, but it's very unlikely that he will know some of the absolute facts that are in that book. Many common sense practical building processes compromise studios, and few architects will realise the implication of some of the essentials in Rod's book. It's American, but ironically it reveals why some of my six studios I have built worked a bit unpredictably. There's a big section that compares single timber walls with plasterboard on RC, and comparing to to the usual room within a room design. I did one of mine with 2x6" for the ceiling and was amazed how poorly it performed for the cost. For isolation it could be better to have a 2x3 outer and a 2x3 inner - which the book explains in terms of isolation in dBs. It's revealing when you see the impact of an extra layer of plasterboard, and then sad when you lose the extra isolation in the doorway!

Buy that book - it's invaluable, and will stop you wasting money. I got it recommended to me and it's well worth getting a copy. Some of my studios have wasted serious amounts of money. The section on windows is pretty 'revealing' too.

Back