Foamed Computer Cabinet cutting down noise...

ThaArtist

I know people have come up with better more professional solutions of cutting noise but this is what I did. The pc is very very quiet but I'm still combating some components of the system to quiet it down even more. Still awaiting a replacement fan for the stock rear 120mm fan.

100_4963Small.jpg

RemovingLoudFanGrillbyJosephcopy.jpg

Looks good. Have you been able to test it yet to see how well it works. Keep an eye on the temperature. Alot of motherboards come with software to monitor temp and volts, etc. If you have a reliable way to monitor the temp, you could probably get some kind of variable fan speed knob or something.

Thanks! Yeah I been using CoreTemp for Win7 x64. Only program I found so far that works with Win7 and my CPU. Highest recorded so far is 36C. I'm looking into automatic and manual fan controllers and options for that type of stuff. Havent tested it but it has cut down some noise. Im still troubleshooting other components contributing to noise.

For what its worth, its sometimes easier to just build a very quiet PC to begin with. quietpcreview.com is an EXCELLENT source.

Brandon

I hear ya, man.

How do you like your box? Maybe a box in conjunction with a P182 case would be something quite nice.

Or, if we could be so lucky, a computer close for all the noisy gear. :D

Brandon

The fans I ordered are by Sycthe are one is 8.7 dBA at 800RPMs moving 33.5 CFM and one is around 10dBA same brand. Sycthe is a little more expensive but great fans. Mike over at SilentPCReview.com referred me try em out. Although I hear him and everyone else talk about Yate Loons too.

Biggest thing I need to do right now is suspend my hard drive like I said. And then work on my CPU fan and case airflow.

Very nice!

Don't some people use hair-ties to suspend their harddrives?

How are you planning on doing it? I'm curious as I may soon be rebuilding my computer and plan on getting a better case, possibly a P182. :)

Brandon

I replaced my power supply with a "quiet" model and that helped a lot, but it was still too noisy when I used condenser mics. Like you, I tried an insulated box, but it got too hot. I had to start thinking outside the box. hahaha

Here is my high-tech solution. No muss, no fuss, and it works perfectly.

pcnoisesolution1.jpg

computernoisesolution4.jpg

All you need is space in your closet and a few extension cables for power and usb ports.

Yep... equipment closets are great, but ventilation can still be an issue depending.

Have you had any issues using the extension cables?

Brandon

Yeah I suspended my hard drive and got rid of the GPU heatsink and fan and replaced it with a Accelero SP 1 Rev 2 which makes my pc now virtually completely silent! The only minor wind sound I have is from the CPU stock fan.

I have two 120mm fans one front and back by Scythe. Ones a slipstream and ones a s-flex. Ones rated 10dBA and the others rated 8.7dBA. So very quiet! I'll post new pics soon. This is definitely the quietest pc I've ever built. That Accelero SP 1 Rev 2 is my hero for sure!

Back