FOAM: A Four letter word...

dudernut

Hello everyone,

I am still fairly new to recording, but in recent weeks, I have been trying to expand my knowledge of acoustics and how I can make my one car garage work for me on my recordings and band practice. Last year, when we were setting the place up, we had little funds or knowledge to successfully work out the acoustics of the room. I had access to an enormous amount of carpet that I used to cover the walls and ceiling. We left the concrete floor and have two large rugs. I have since learned that all carpet and does is kill the high end. I had wanted (as many newbies do) go out and buy a shitton of foam and go to town, thinking perhaps I could place an occasional plywood panel to get natural reverb where we want it. I am SOOO glad I did not have the money to start that endeavor, because I am learning that most professional recording engineers steer clear away from foam. I am planning to make some rockwool gobos soon for at least monitoring and catching some of the lows in practice, but it will be a few weeks at least before I can start that.

So here are my questions:

Does foam offer any any value to a recording setup at all? Currently, the only place I am using it is a curved piece of packaging foam behind my vocal condenser (similar to those ridiculously overpriced mic isolators at GC).

Is my carpet hurting more than helping I realize that only I or someone who enters the room can really answer that, but is the idea something that anyone here would have even considered? My other option would be to take it all down and put new sheetrock (or wood?).

Should I leave one side of the gobos reflective? Perhaps it would be useful to create some reverb for drum recordings.

Remember that I am new to this and trying to learn all aspects of recording simultaneously, so I am not well-versed in how this stuff works exactly...that said, I can't wait to hear some constructive feedback. And if anyone has any tips on pinpointing acoustical problem areas in a room, that would also be greatly appreciated!

If it were me, I'd ditch the carpet, sheetrock or panel the walls and start with bass trapping in the corners.
Bass traps are pretty easy to make, btw. Do a quick search here and you'll find a bunch of threads.

Once I had it bass trapped, then I'd look at some of that acoustic foam and make some spot gobo's. PLace these at the early reflection points on the walls.
A couple of throw rugs on the floor and see how it sounds.

I wouldn't go for a dead room, just controlled.
:drunk:

Me, personally I think foam is less effective than Panels. As previously stated bass tramps are essential and can change the feel of the room immediately.

Hello everyone,

I am still fairly new to recording, but in recent weeks, I have been trying to expand my knowledge of acoustics and how I can make my one car garage work for me on my recordings and band practice. Last year, when we were setting the place up, we had little funds or knowledge to successfully work out the acoustics of the room. I had access to an enormous amount of carpet that I used to cover the walls and ceiling. We left the concrete floor and have two large rugs. I have since learned that all carpet and does is kill the high end. I had wanted (as many newbies do) go out and buy a shitton of foam and go to town, thinking perhaps I could place an occasional plywood panel to get natural reverb where we want it. I am SOOO glad I did not have the money to start that endeavor, because I am learning that most professional recording engineers steer clear away from foam. I am planning to make some rockwool gobos soon for at least monitoring and catching some of the lows in practice, but it will be a few weeks at least before I can start that.

So here are my questions:

Does foam offer any any value to a recording setup at all? Currently, the only place I am using it is a curved piece of packaging foam behind my vocal condenser (similar to those ridiculously overpriced mic isolators at GC).

Is my carpet hurting more than helping I realize that only I or someone who enters the room can really answer that, but is the idea something that anyone here would have even considered? My other option would be to take it all down and put new sheetrock (or wood?).

Should I leave one side of the gobos reflective? Perhaps it would be useful to create some reverb for drum recordings.

Just to be sure on WHY people don't suggest foam, and suggest mineral wool or fiberglass, etc is because: Testing Acoustic Foam Bass Traps

As you can see, corner foam "bass" traps don't do anything below ~200 Hz at ALL. And these are the thick pieces...if we tested a 2" foam flat against a wall, I would assume something more like above 600 Hz. This is exactly the same thing your carpet is doing, but its doing it on even a higher frequency. So it may stop absorbing much around 800 Hz - 1kHz or somewhere around there (really depends on your carpet).

I would always suggest broadband treatments over anything that only absorbs the highs. So if its possible, I would remove the carpet from the walls.

Also, building gobos reflective would be helpful to not absorb everything in the room, however...you can get better results at lower frequencies with an open back design as they can allow for a large air gap until they hit a boundary which can be really helpful. Also, you wouldn't want to necessarily place plywood close to instrumentation and mics anyways. The reverb would be too short and hollow sounding, not very useful for a recording..

If you want to test your room for the acoustic problems it has, you can check out REW (its free) and post your graphs here. Here's a video we did explaining REW: Room EQ Wizard Tutorial Video

You're right. I DO agree with him but was lookin for details. Kinda like what the OP is lookin for. ;)

Aaand....I have 2 of your 244's in my room. :drunk:

You're right. I DO agree with him but was lookin for details. Kinda like what the OP is lookin for. ;)

Aaand....I have 2 of your 244's in my room. :drunk:

Yeah, I edited my post above to add some more details to help the OP as well. Glad to hear you have some of our panels - how are they holding up?? :)

Yeah, I edited my post above to add some more details to help the OP as well. Glad to hear you have some of our panels - how are they holding up?? :)

They're doin great! Had em for about...I dunno...4 years. ?
In fact they're doin better than my superchunks I made. :( I tend to be kind of a neandrethal with things. :o

:D

As previously stated bass tramps are essential and can change the feel of the room immediately.

The last tramps I had in the room changed the feel with their presence....but they didn't play any bass, they just wanted some food...so I fed them and kicked them out.

:)

The last tramps I had in the room changed the feel with their presence....but they didn't play any bass, they just wanted some food...so I fed them and kicked them out.

:)
The Gypsies and the thieves must have been a little harder to get rid of.

They never left...just pitched a tent in my back yard.
I'm trying to get them to at least lose the goats.....but the feta cheese ain't bad.

Cher comes to visit once in awhile....

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. I think when I get the time and funds, I will in fact strip down the carpet and use a combination of wall and corner mounted bass traps along with spot gobos to help with the rest. As for the tramps, I usually keep 'em around for the ambient noise (grumbles of hunger and despair, prompts for money and booze)....it really adds a nice touch to any recording!

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone. I think when I get the time and funds, I will in fact strip down the carpet and use a combination of wall and corner mounted bass traps along with spot gobos to help with the rest. As for the tramps, I usually keep 'em around for the ambient noise (grumbles of hunger and despair, prompts for money and booze)....it really adds a nice touch to any recording!

:laughings:

nice. :D

and good luck on your room man. Glen and the guys at GIK are good people and can help with the goodz when you're ready.
:drunk:

Back