Flooring for recording & Mixing

rayc

retroreprobate
Hello Folks,
yesterday amongst the BIG rain & winds storms that lashed east coast NSW my little recording space was flooded.
No damage to gaer as I have stuff off the floor as this has happened before. WE've remediated the drainage system but the volume of water and debris over the last 3 days was such that even the remediated system couldn't cope.
AS a result the carpet is sodden.
I'm attempting to dry it with dehumidifier and blow heaters but fear that the small amount of water drawn out this way suggest that the squelching carpet won't come good.
beneath the carpet is a concrete slab floor.
The room is a basic rectangle but I've managed to tame problematic nulls & such with stuff.
This is probably a real opportunity to replace the carpet with something that a) won't hold water and b) is better for recording/mixing.
Any ideas?

From what others have said here - and the fact that there's always the chance of future flooding, no matter what you do - leave it as concrete, and use a few rugs as needed. You could put a nice epoxy coating on the concrete.

^^^Yes^^^^

You can buy a nice silver/grey cement sealer. I did it in my garage and it looks great. My garage isn't where my studio is, but it if it was, the sealer would have been enough.

I think leaving it concrete and rugs. Nice paint, even some art to make it look nice. When I get rid of my carpet, that is the way I am going.

There are systems out there you can hire to do staining and etching. Pretty nice stuff Engrave a Create

When we finished our basement recently we almost went with a concrete stain. There are easy water based stains that you can apply yourself, or some acid based ones that are best left to professionals. There are some really cool effects you can achieve, like burled wood or leather kinds of textures. Toss in a couple of area rugs and you'll have an easy to recover surface in case of future flooding.

But if you go with a hard, lively surface on the floor, you'll want to balance it out with ceiling clouds to tame reflections.

Back