First Pics of my New Studio / Workshop

Hm the Velvet Underground produced some of the most memorable recordings in history and it sounds like they hung a $5 mic from the light fixture in the middle of a garage.

Whatever you lose in isolation, make up for it with art. :)

Also - nobody has mentioned this and it's a little outside the box, but if you end up without enough isolation (still picking up noise from the outside world) you could try planting some tall shrubs or putting up some wood fencing around the building. It ain't Abbey Road but then again, it ain't Abbey Road.

Please post more pics. My studio project is embarrassingly still nothing more than an unfinished basement. I'm living vicariously.

its a shame you have already put the plaster boards up, what you could have done is got some neoprene cut it to the same width as the leading edge of the uprights, bonded it to the wood, then put a layer of board on, then a thin section of neoprene again over everything then another layer of board that way double skinning and isolating the board from the structureone thing you can do on the floor is to put a 2 inch wood beam section down basically a grid and then fill each section with sand, neoprene the top edges of the beams and then board over them with say a good one inch thick marine ply thereby making as good a dead floor as you can.

now rick has a point with the metal sides etc and the vibrations from those and noise transferral you could double pack the sheet wool in there that way you take up some of the empty air space by way of compression of materials.

one other way is to do the floor section i explained but build a new room within a room totally seperate from the sides and celing , not attached in any way to the building other than the floor, and skin the outside of it and the inside in the way explained, that way you will get no issues with the outer walls of the building.

a lot of studios are basically rooms in rooms with no main structure tie ins whatso ever.

I am happy to share my little plan with ya'll, but I need some encouragement! C'mon peeps!
Encouragement? !hmmmm, considering this statement:
Unfortunately, the building is close to a main road where you can hear the traffic, so yes, isolation is a must.

I tried to offer you the best advice I could to achieve your "must". Sometimes encouragement comes in the form of advice to succeed. Yes, you deserve credit for what you have achieved, and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun there. And what you've done so far is to be admired and envied by those who do not possess the resources to do same. Like me.:D

Just remember, YOU are the one that said "ISOLATION IS A MUST" and I simply took your word for it. I guess it isn't. However, for those members who would follow the same path you chose for a building envelope and TRULY need isolation, and are willing to listen, I only tried to explain a few concepts that would keep them from making mistakes from the gitgo that are very difficult to fix AFTER the envelope is assembled.

This is NOT to say your recordings will suffer. On the contrary. With the proper treatment, your space could be a delightful place to record. Only you know how much environmental noise you can tolerate, and WHEN to record to mitigate its possible damage to a recording. In that regard, your project is coming along great. Keep us posted on your progress! And by all means,
HAVE FUN!!:D
fitZ

I really appreciate all your input Fitz. I printed off your last statement and gave it to my foreman, and we are implementing everything we can that you suggested. At this point, we are:
1.) Putting off the recording booths untill we can afford to do what we need to, which is:
2.) Going to double the drywall like you suggested.
3.) Going to pack drywall in between the studs on the exterior wall (as much as we can afford to do) it may only be 1 layer!
4.) Going to (attempt) add density to the floor with drywall as you suggested inside the booths.

The main thing to remember with me is as I stated before: I needed a building yesterday for my main source of income, which is PC & Network support. Otherwise, I could have really planned this studio thing out, and I would have just known that this was going to cost me $20k or so. I am up to $12k now, and that is about all my little budget can stand! (Ya'll, I am not trying to boast or tell my business, but you need to know what you are getting in to if you decide to embark down the same sort of path- building materials are down, and it is still expensive!) With that said, my PC and network room is of the 16 x 28 area, a very hefty 16 x 8 chunk of it :). Obviously it was important to record in this building, but it also is a multipurpose area as my son is going to call it a bedroom in a couple of years when he turns 16 (don't worry Fitz, he is only going to sleep there), a home theater, a PC and Network shop, and a hangout area for my friends- all 3 of them...

Anyway, this project has been a super learning experience, and if I ever outgrow this thing and recording becomes a form of income that I can count on, I will do EXACTLY what I want in the way of building another unit- you can count on that! At any rate, your input is appreciated, and in no way did I take offense to the apparent ( and not so apparent) downsides you pointed out to me. I will continue to post pics, and I was really just kidding about not posting more pics- I just had not heard from any of you in a while...:)

I am going to post an mp3 of a song I recorded in a building much like the one I am building, with the exception that this structure was much smaller (12 x 20)- and there was a whole lot of room noise- something I am trying my best to eliminate now. You know, you never can really appreciate something until you've been started out small, like me and most other recording musicians.

Everyone's input is valuable to me. I want, no, I HAVE to learn more in order to better myself. Anything I learn now is going to save me later. I am 33, not 23 and I do not know everything as I once did!

I appreciate all of you! Now give yourselves a big pat on the back, a smack on each other's behinds and let's finish this thing once and for all! Go team go!

Check this book out

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/1598630342

I really appreciate all your input Fitz.

Hey, no problem. However, let me say this. I'm no expert. Thats why I posted the link above. This book is written by Rod Gervais who IS AN EXPERT. I would suggest buying this book as soon as possible. It has a ton of information on every subject relative to your project. BTW, Rod IS a member here too. He might even pop in here and ...well, he might even negate some of my statements:eek:;):D Thats why I put the link in here. He's an engineer, and has built some of the worlds foremost studios. You couldn't spend your money on a better resource.
fitZ:)

More Pics

Here are some more pics of drywall in its final hanging stages.

THis week is mudding week. The finishing of the drywall should be completed by the end of this week. Note the unfinished audio booths in the last photo!

Attachments

• 100_3323.jpg
    100_3323.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 699
  • 100_3324.jpg
    100_3324.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 694
  • 100_3325.jpg
    100_3325.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 694
  • 100_3326.jpg
    100_3326.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 703
Just wanted to give everyone the heads up, we are in the final mudding stages on the drywall. We doubled the drywall on the recording booth exterior wall, and will continue on until it is complete on Monday afternoon. I primered the PC & Network room and will paint it today, as it is finished.

We will be having a grand opening on April 4th Saturday @ 10:00 a.m. I will post links of pictures, the article and possible video of the news rollout when they come. We are truly excited. I will post some pics later today or tomorrow of our progress in the building. Thanks again guys!

more pics

Here they are...

Attachments

• 100_3330.jpg
    100_3330.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 636
  • 100_3335.jpg
    100_3335.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 627
  • 100_3333.jpg
    100_3333.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 631
  • 100_3334.jpg
    100_3334.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 632
You're going to love it. Keep the pictures coming.

I'm near a road, too - and I don't sweat it much. I was more concerned with making the room sound good than strict isolation. Don't let worries prevent you from enjoying what you've got.

-Casey

Update

Dang. When you run out of $$$, things start getting sloow!

We primered a couple days ago, will be painting the area tomorrow. The drywall is finished (obviously), and we will be putting the flooring down sometime next week. I'll get pics up as soon as I can. Thanks again guys for your interest!

Another Update

Thanks again everyone. Here goes. I need some money. Anyone willing to contribute to my recording fund will be accepted.

Just Kidding... :)

The rooms are painted. Friday morn, we will cut the accent trim and affix to the wall, put the AC unit in, and install an exhaust fan for the PC room, and install the aluminum desk for the PC network room. Monday and Tuesday we will get started on the flooring. Any volunteers?

Anyway, this has turned out to be one expensive project. Flooring for this baby runs me many smackers- you know my wife had to pick it out- happened to be the most EXPENSIVE flooring Lowe's had to offer. What is up with that?!

Anyway, sorry for not posting in a while. I will put some pictures up on Saturday at the latest. I think it is looking really nice, and I cannot wait to go live in my new recording home / doghouse. I really look forward to sharing some music with you afterwards!

-Michael

Thanks again everyone. Here goes. I need some money. Anyone willing to contribute to my recording fund will be accepted.

Just Kidding... :)

The rooms are painted. Friday morn, we will cut the accent trim and affix to the wall, put the AC unit in, and install an exhaust fan for the PC room, and install the aluminum desk for the PC network room. Monday and Tuesday we will get started on the flooring. Any volunteers?

Anyway, this has turned out to be one expensive project. Flooring for this baby runs me many smackers- you know my wife had to pick it out- happened to be the most EXPENSIVE flooring Lowe's had to offer. What is up with that?!

Anyway, sorry for not posting in a while. I will put some pictures up on Saturday at the latest. I think it is looking really nice, and I cannot wait to go live in my new recording home / doghouse. I really look forward to sharing some music with you afterwards!

-Michael

Wow, thanks to you "being in the doghouse" with the wife may actually be a good thing!

NEW UPDATE: Is this thread dead?

I apologize deeply for not getting back with you and updating on the progress. We cancelled our grand opening because, well, we just weren't ready. I thought we could knock this thing out in a month, but boy was I in for a rude awakening.

Anyway, here goes since last update:

Finished the drywall
Painted the walls with two tones (very manly :))
Put flooring in (very nice extremely expensive flooring, thank you outrageously expensive wife)
Tied in all the power outlets
Currently punching down all network outlets
Installed A/C unit

I promise to get some pics in the next few days. I have slacked on pics, so big improvements since last shots. Not my intentions however as you all know it was a step-by-step kind of deal.

I appreciate all of you and your valuable criticism and feedback and encouragement!

-Michael

More Pics!

Sorry so late guys. I hope this thread isn't dead, I did not get a reply on my last one, but I will post anyway:

After major improvements done, here are some more pics.

We're getting there!!!

Attachments

• 100_3436.jpg
    100_3436.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 377
  • 100_3438.jpg
    100_3438.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 379
  • 100_3439.jpg
    100_3439.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 380
  • 100_3443.jpg
    100_3443.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 381
Right on dude. That place is gonna be your sanctuary! Very cool indeed. Keep us posted on pics as you start the treatment and stuff.
I love these threads.
;)

Back