First Pair of Studio Monitors

Aidan0222

I've recently gotten into producing music, and I have all the things I need to record. But now I'm looking to buy a pair of studio monitors to learn to mix on, but I have no idea how many watts of power my monitors need to be. I also don't know what frequency response I should look for. I'm looking at the Presonus Eris E5s which has a total power of 70w and a frequency response of 53hz - 22khz. Is that enough? Or should I pay for the E8s, which is quite a bit more than I'd like to pay. The E8s have a total power of 130w and a frequency response of 35hz - 22khz. I will be mixing in my bedroom that I'm going to treat.

Get the best thing you can afford... something fairly powerful - something that rocks and sounds good and low and high volumes. Every decision you make in audio is going to be because of the monitors. In my opinion, there is no single piece of gear that is more important than them. Do your research and reading on the internet, and listen to them in the store if you can.

Didn't we just have a thread like this?

What's the room size, how is it treated, and what kind of music will you be mixing with those monitors?

I think it's safe to say most powered monitors on the market have sufficient power for their purpose, but if you're trying to DJ a party with them, you will be disappointed.

At the risk of derailing this, I'll just pose a [rhetorical] question: Are the monitors the most important piece? IDK. I'm with a few here that probably think the room treatment is at least as important. TBH, it's pretty hard to use any monitors, regardless of frequency response, power, or price if the room sounds bad. Put another way, if the room isn't helping your mix, it's probably hurting it, so make sure you know which it's doing. (I just ran the numbers, in fact, and I spent 2x on treatment vs my monitors - and over 80% of that was material for panels and bass traps I built myself. No idea if that's normal or rational, and I know I could, or would like to spend more on my monitors, but "first things first" finally sunk in...)

IDK. I'm with a few here that probably think the room treatment is at least as important. TBH, it's pretty hard to use any monitors, regardless of frequency response, power, or price if the room sounds bad.

Agreed - proper room design/treatment AND monitors are the most important things. Everything else is secondary.

Back