Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Find a way to insulate out train noise

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorb View Post
    just to let you know.... I live 200 feet from a train line. I was searching for isolating it and ran across this thread. I enjoyed the conversation and learned alot from it. I also learned that for a small fortune I can possibly isolate it.... but then again if I had a small fortune, I wouldn't be living 200 feet from the tracks .

I do have a question though...... Are you saying that I can possibly engineer out the trains rumbling? another question..... Can I Isolate enough to get rid of the train whistle?

Brad
    There is soft ware which allows you to take a sample of the 'noise' and insert it in the reduction 'engine' and it is then subtracted in some clever, digital fashion that this old valve amp jockey will never fathom.
    There is such a facility in my copy of AA 1.5 and I would guess in Reaper* (Mack will know) The technique is not foolproof! You can only make SO much reduction otherwise the wanted sound gets garbled.

As Mack says, a train whistle is probably beyond treatment. This is the curse of voice overs, lots of editing and re- doooos!
    Pertinent to re-work. This is why you should pay great attention to consistency, in levels, room quality and any added FX (basically don't) . Any re-dos/drop-ins must sound the same as the original even if made next day, next week, di-dah. Of course! If it's all for the bud pluggin' pod zoning masses and you don't care? Give 'em the trains!

*Sony Sound Forge had some excellent noise reducers in it. Bought up by Magix I think but you still might be able to grab the 30 day trial?

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    There is such a facility in my copy of AA 1.5 and I would guess in Reaper* (Mack will know) The technique is not foolproof! You can only make SO much reduction otherwise the wanted sound gets garbled.Dave.
    Yes Dave, in Reaper it is called ReaFir. It has 4 functions I believe and for removing noise it is called "Subtract". Like you said above, these filters are meant to remove small items like slight buzzing, electrical interference, ceiling fan motor noise, AC duct noise, slight pops, clicks etc.

The key factors are volume level and freqs. The noise you are trying to remove must be well below the audio level you want to preserve. If not, it will just sound awful. It also has a lot to do with the freq as well. It is much easier to remove the low end of the spectrum than the high end, well, it is for me anyway.

Picnic = Problem In Chair Not In Computer Free Podcasting ACX Course ~ Sound Treatment

Thanks
    Thanks guys..... I only record for myself (and completely in the analog world), so I’m probably going to have to live with it. It’s kinda funny.... I’ll be recording and start hearing a rumbling..... my mind is going “can I finish before the whistle?”.... then I try to mentally speed up the click track.......

It never works though, but I know then I have 30 minutes until the next one comes through..... (of course.... the next take, the furnace will come on......)
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Thanks
    Thanks guys..... I only record for myself (and completely in the analog world), so I’m probably going to have to live with it. It’s kinda funny.... I’ll be recording and start hearing a rumbling..... my mind is going “can I finish before the whistle?”.... then I try to mentally speed up the click track.......

It never works though, but I know then I have 30 minutes until the next one comes through..... (of course.... the next take, the furnace will come on......)
    Well, you could 'clean up' for next to nothing? The Behringer UCA 202, $30, will get taped sound in and out of a PC with no extra degradation. Reaper is free until the guilt kicks in then it is only about 60 bucks.

Nobody will ever know you have used a dastardly digital device and WE won't tell'em!

Dave.

Thanks
    Well, you could 'clean up' for next to nothing? The Behringer UCA 202, $30, will get taped sound in and out of a PC with no extra degradation. Reaper is free until the guilt kicks in then it is only about 60 bucks.

Nobody will ever know you have used a dastardly digital device and WE won't tell'em!

Dave.
    That’s not a bad idea Dave! I have an old alesis Io that I could use. I’ll have to see how to hook it up to a Linux machine.......
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Thanks
    That’s not a bad idea Dave! I have an old alesis Io that I could use. I’ll have to see how to hook it up to a Linux machine.......
    Well! "Hai know nah'thing Mr Fawltey" (old valve amp man) but there is a guy, Folderol over at Sound on Sound who runs Linux audio (NI KA6) . If Linux does 'Generic USB' the 202 might work? You don't need C squared latency?

Pretty sure Reaper runs in Linux.

Were you Chelsea UK I would lend you my UCA 202.

Dave.

Thanks
    Thanks guys..... I only record for myself (and completely in the analog world), so I’m probably going to have to live with it.
    If you venture over to the digital world, you can improve your sound. Just so you know, even high dollar studios that record in analog, always finish in digital as far as I know.

Well, you could 'clean up' for next to nothing? Nobody will ever know you have used a dastardly digital device and WE won't tell'em! Dave.
    Your last sentence is funny. Remember when no one would tell you their mixing and mastering secrets? Now you just YouTube them and get them for free. The video below shows how to remove the BG noise in Reaper using ReaFir. I just finished it. It also shows what you can, and can not do concerning noise removal, regardless of what you read on their websites. p.s. Anybody want to tell me which letter of the alphabet I forgot that was referred to in the video? You can scrub to 30 secs to skip the intro.

Last edited by Mack Caster; 5 Days Ago at 10:03. Reason: Scrub a dub dub.

Picnic = Problem In Chair Not In Computer Free Podcasting ACX Course ~ Sound Treatment

Thanks
    Heh! I was joshin'! More having a pop at the 'purist' analogue guys. Bit akin to the valve purists/beardy types in the guitar amp world!

Dave.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heh! I was joshin'! More having a pop at the 'purist' analogue guys. Bit akin to the valve purists/beardy types in the guitar amp world!

Dave.
    I'm not a purist...... just real comfortable in the 1980's ......... sooooooo..... ya'll have a town named after Chelsea Oklahoma??...........
    Brad Bachelor

Thanks
    Thanks for that video Mack...... I've made a note to come back to that. I really like the idea of reducing my number of takes.

Brad
    Brad Bachelor

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bachelorb For This Useful Post:

Thread Information