Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Find a way to insulate out train noise

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    You should hear the drag racing video I filmed many years ago with just a camera mic, when played back through the surround system with the sub you could feel the earth move LOL, I was standing on the start line when filming.
    I hate to state the obvious, but this is a function of amplitude more than frequency. Yes, anyone can feel 10Hz if it's played LOUD enough. Drag racers - and Lord knows I hate to argue with a drag racer - have lots and lots of amplitude so there's pretty much no frequency that you're gonna miss.

However, as far as *hearing* it, no, you don't hear below 20Hz, and an increasing population neither hears nor has the equipment to reproduce down there. They just have "thumps" and call it good. And most of those thumps are synthesized harmonics to simulate lower freqs.

Ponder5

Thanks
    Well it seems Mr Shinzon must have figured out what to do all by himself or...he's just an ungrateful bastard for not saying thanks for all the help and awesome advice the HR.com team has showered upon him

Comes here once ask for help and never comes back to hear what we genius's have to say ... Oh well I guess the take away here is if you're buying a house and planning on doing recording in your home you should definitely have noise pollution as one of your criteria in choosing your new abode.. i.e. don't buy a house just a half a mile past the railroad tracks ( excluding Alice's restaurant )

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    The BBC's Maida Vale studios is only 100mtrs or so from an underground line ('subway' to our colonial friends) and you could still hear the odd rumble on the radio.

If the technical and financial resources of the Beeb could not keep the trains out I doubt anything OP can do will have much effect?

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    If the technical and financial resources of the Beeb could not keep the trains out I doubt anything OP can do will have much effect?
    You may have a really good point there, especially if they did as you say and put some real juice into it. No contest.

At the same time, BBC is a huge company and like huge companies everywhere, all it takes is some nitwit middle-manager with a spreadsheet to completely eviscerate everything worthy in the project, leaving a monument to stupidity. Seen it many times, unfortunately.

But hey, i don't know either way.

Ponder5

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponder5 View Post
    You may have a really good point there, especially if they did as you say and put some real juice into it. No contest.

At the same time, BBC is a huge company and like huge companies everywhere, all it takes is some nitwit middle-manager with a spreadsheet to completely eviscerate everything worthy in the project, leaving a monument to stupidity. Seen it many times, unfortunately.

But hey, i don't know either way.

Ponder5
    Hmm? The BBC WAS unlike most monolithic companies 'back in the day' when sound quality was king and the Bean Counters hardly got a look in, so I think MV would have been done to best possible practice.

I am afraid you might have to resort to the M.O. my son used for his songs? 2am recording and sometimes a lot of re-do's due to a dog, a car or in the dawn a pigeon! Mind you, goods trains might be more common during the night!

Last resort. Train noise is fairly 'periodic'? The noise reducers that use an inverted sample might be ok used with taste and restraint? I think there is one in Reaper?

Don't buy any 'booteek' gear with the much vaunted (daft IMHO) 'all DC coupled audio path'. Almost as silly as those that break into the Medium wave RF spectrum!

Dave.

Thanks
    No Sign of the original poster?

Is it because we gave the information that they did not want to hear?

We need more information about how much noise and type of noise? Vibration, wheel squeal, locomotive noise?

Without this we are wasting our time talking about it.

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    Well it seems Mr Shinzon must have figured out what to do all by himself or...
    Hate it when that happens
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    Hate it when that happens
    Yeah, seems another drive by...
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    just to let you know.... I live 200 feet from a train line. I was searching for isolating it and ran across this thread. I enjoyed the conversation and learned alot from it. I also learned that for a small fortune I can possibly isolate it.... but then again if I had a small fortune, I wouldn't be living 200 feet from the tracks .

I do have a question though...... Are you saying that I can possibly engineer out the trains rumbling? another question..... Can I Isolate enough to get rid of the train whistle?

Brad
    Brad Bachelor
    "Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture." - Helen Rowland

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bachelorb View Post
    Are you saying that I can possibly engineer out the trains rumbling? another question..... Can I Isolate enough to get rid of the train whistle? Brad
    You can try using a high pass eq filter for the rumbling as pictured below. You just want to make sure you don't have to go over 100hrz or it will start sucking out all the lows in your audio. If you are just recording speech, you can fudge a little bit on that to around 150 or even 200hz.

As far as the train whistle goes, I doubt it. The freq range as well as the volume of the horn would be the determining factors. Others may have some better advice or ideas on that.

hp-jpg

Picnic = Problem In Chair Not In Computer Free Podcasting ACX Course ~ Sound Treatment

Thread Information