Finally got pics of my studio.

darnold

Finally. Pics!

Only of the control room though. Just quick pics to show off to the forums :P.

Full room shot.
rockhouseroom.jpg

Another angle of the console.
rockhouseconsolefull.jpg

The front of my console.
rockhousefrontconsole.jpg

Cool shot of the Ghost.
rockhouseghost.jpg

Rack in the console.
rockhouseconsolerack.jpg

Pic of the Ampex ATR 102
rockhouseampex.jpg

Rack with my playback stuff and odds and ends.
rockhouserack.jpg

Rack with the compressors. (2) SpectraSonics 610s, (2) Urei LA4s, (4) DBX 165As.
rockhousecompressors.jpg

Heres a room shot with me in it. Decided i needed to put me in there.
rockhouseroomme.jpg

Ive got more rack gear in the 2nd tracking room but i have yet to organize it into racks and I am out of space to put it. Also sitting back there is a Tascam MS16 and an old Ampex Model 350C.

Thought it was time to come out and show off a bit ;).

Danny

thought i would go ahead and talk about what i know about the construction. The rooms arnt too huge. Cant remember all the dimensions. Has the control room that you see, tracking room (16x27), iso room (9x14 or so). Rooms are floating construction (the floor is floated) with 2 layers of 5/8" Drywall on one side and 2 layers of 5/8" Fiberboard. Thats on the walls and ceiling. All the walls fitted with R30 insulation all the way around, with the back wall which faces the street has R60. The facility was made 20 years back so i dont know all the details. Dont even know if R60 insulation is a good idea in general. The ceiling are slanted from 8 feet to 9 feet up. My biggest complaint is the shallow control room. Makes moving around with clients in here very diffcult. But i put up with it.

Danny

Wow. Very nice looking. I wish I could have something like it.. ha.

How old are you? If you don't mind me asking. You look a bit younger.

Its unusual to see someone young looking talking about a spread like that like its his own. My thoughts were; He helped build it and brought a camera to work, he has way cool parents, or he is in a band that has become a well paying gig. Are any of them right? :)

Nice place, man. I am happy for you, and only wish that I knew how to run all of that equipment.

D

You look like you are in your 20s. Man, that would be awesome to own all that gear at that age. Hell Im no where near you. Good job at your sessy studio.

(splash...........splash............splash) [sounds of drool hitting desk]

NICE setup :D :D

Between you and Bruce you've now set the standard high for my wish list in cool looking control rooms.

Darryl.....

Thanks for the comments. Ive had everything for close to a year and a half. I just havnt really made it known to everyone. Didnt really need to i guess. Finally got some pics taken so i thought it was time to show it off a bit.

Blue Bear - Thanks for the comments. Really means alot coming from you actually.

geet - I just turned 20 in November.

biddaddyd - Thanks. Non of your guesses are right. The facility itself was built close to 20 years ago. My parents are cool but they really dont have money... at all. Im in a band but we dont get paid squat :D.

And thanks again everyone for the other comments. I started in the business really young. Learned most of my stuff from this board. I was one of the type that would hang out here all day and read stuff. Guess luck has to do with alot of it too. Being in the right place at the right time and grabbing all oppurtunities i saw not even knowing i could succeed in them :D. I just keep building it up and investing as i go. Everything but the vintage compressors and vintage tape machines is stuff that i put in. The compressors and tape machines were part of the 20 year old business Rockhouse is. The main previous owner of this thing was making a fortune. The sad part is some of the stuff i had to let go over the past year and half because of my lack of funds. The studio went dormant for about a year before i took over. I let go a Soundelux U95, two vintage blue label U87s, 4 channel John Hardy Preamp, TC Electronics M2290, TC Electronics M2000. A few other things that i wish i could have kept and now could probably keep.

But the truth is, even though i absolutely love the business and the gear i work with. Paying for it is not all dreamy as its worked up to be. The last three weeks alone ive been tracking and mixing 14-17 hours a day or even more sometimes. Occasional break in between. That might sound like fun but when your working with clients that are demanding 110% it starts to lose the fun. You start talking to yourself all day long from both loneliness, to help focus on what your doing, and from lack of sleep. Takes alot of tolerance and lots of push to keep sane :D. In the end though its worth it. When youve done your work for the month and you get to slow down and chill for a while. Infact moving off my chair for this initial pictures is probably the first time ive moved from that spot in the last 3 weeks :D. Its eat breakfast in the morning, sometimes i get lunch but alot of the times i dont. Then i grab food for dinner on my way to bed at 2 or 3 in the morning. Then i fall asleep as i eat it :D. Looking at that picture has made me realize how skinny im getting. Probably malnutritioned.

Right now ive got an assistant helping me out with tracking for the next three days while i escape on a vacation. Im still 20 years old so i still like to party.

Anyway. I have mixed feelings about attention because i dont like drastic changes in attitude which is why i never have brought this in the open before. And most likely my recordings and mixing still dont compare to alot of people on this board. Ive still got alot to learn, but ive got the gear to accelerate it all.

Thanks again.

Danny

Wow, nice...

When I was your age I was trying to record an unplayable Hondo SG copy on a sony tape deck.. Congrats on your studio!!

i was leaving to go take my vacation but remembered something i wanted to include in here. That is a thanks list to people ive looked up to over the years. This isnt necessarily in order of priority but more based on timing of events.

Xstatic - I recorded in Xstatic studios when i was but 13 years old. I dont think he realizes how much of an influence he had on me when i went into that studio. Did great work then too. Im probably gonna visit him within the next few days so hes probably gonna slap me for writing this up :D. But hes really the person who got me into this whole dill. And also thanks for helping me these last few months with getting everything going and his advice.

Blue Bear - One of the first persons on this board that i really looked up to. Although now i run into a few small things that i dont completely agree with or have a little different opinion :D. His knowledge that he shared with the board over the years has been excellent. And appreciated.

Harvey Gerst - Talk about alot of knowledge shared. The big mic thread and the rest of your informative encyclopedia threads. Really has helped me get deeper into the technology and understanding of equipment.

Everyone at Homerecording - The two people above are just people that have stood out the most to me. But everyone here has shared alot of knowledge on recording. Besides basic recording techniques, this thread has tought me respect and proper communication. All of the skills i learned here really paid off.

There are definately more people to give thanks to. Mostly parents and people that have been personally inspiring to me. But they arnt people that will be really recognized on the forum. Trent Walker, the previous owner of Rockhouse has been a huge help in teaching me the business end of the studio. He did it for a long time and he did it well. Its amazing what he did here. All in a studio in little old Rexburg ID. Funny thing is most of his business was out of state. Alot from California. I plan to regain that status. Paul Pugmire, really the guy who helped me get my start in the business. Openly shared his equipment with me, gave me all the oppurtunities i needed to learn the art. And one of the first adults i became associated with. Taught me alot more than equipment side of things. Brian Sheetz has been teaching me electronic fundamentals. Great electrician who is always willing to come by and solder a few things. And of course my parents. My mom wasnt always supportive but has been the most supportive financially when i started at Rockhouse. My dad has always loved and been proud of what i was doing which always kept me going further and further.

I hope i didnt leave anyone important out. I feel like im giving a speach for some kind of award or something :D. But i do have alot of thanks and dont take all the credit for myself.

Thanks again to everyone.

Danny

Da-da, Da! Crash!

Eh,... you said rim shot? ;)

Dude, wow, nice place, you rock fer shure, but you're a little young to have such a fully equipped and lavish studio, eh? [MO]

So, what's up with that? Got financial backers?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!! :confused: :eek: ;)

Reel Person.

Thanks. Like i said before alot of it was built up over the years. Most built up within the last year. Not much financial backing for a studio but some. Nothing free i guarantee that. Lots of oppurtunities and i guess luck has to do with it.

Danny

Dude,...

I was so knocked out by the pictures that I skipped over all of that worthless text! ;)

You rock, fer shure. I mean that. ;)

I figure if I ask this question on this thread, I may get some help. How did he load all those full sized pics on one reply. I can only get one at a time, and by the time i shave them all down to 64mb they are small.

LMK please.....

d

Sweeet! Not only is it a joy to see such a lovely facility, but to see an owner that knows what it's worth in sweat equity. You know, there are stopping off points where you have to catch your breath. Take a week off and go to Jamaica. Trust me. It'll still be there when you get back.-Richie

Take a week off and go to Jamaica. Trust me. It'll still be there when you get back.
Oh yea, and what planet are on visiting from........ :rolleyes: Take a week off and go to Jamaica?. hmmmmmmm, I guess some people don't HAVE to work for a living. Personally, I'd come back to NO JOB. :rolleyes:

Rick, if you can never stop working, you aren't living at all, you are just surviving. That doesn't make dreams or art happen. I think you should go with Darnold and rent a room together at Hedonism III in Ocho Rios.-Richie

Back