Faults In My Acoustic Treatment? (Pics Included)

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Hi All,

I posted a thread asking for help in treating my room. Due to limited responses I decided to go ahead and try it myself. I'm hoping this thread will net more responses as I'm not really sure what I'm doing. As posted in my last thread, my wife was kind enough to agree to my studio moving into the larger room in the basement (still relatively small) and moving the TV area into the smaller area. A few notes on the pics below...

-The panel above the performance area will be secured to the ceiling
-Thinking of installing a base trap in the performance area corner. What do you think?
-Panel left of the fireplace will be hung higher.
-Will be installing a panel on the ceiling over the monitors to deal with early reflections.

Other than that, what flaws do you see in my current setup? Any help is totally appreciated. All panels are home made with 2" OC 703.

Thanks,

Attachments

• SAM_1332.jpg
    SAM_1332.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Room Layout.jpg
    Room Layout.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 181
  • SAM_1333.jpg
    SAM_1333.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 176
  • SAM_1334.jpg
    SAM_1334.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 174
  • SAM_1335.jpg
    SAM_1335.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 179
  • SAM_1336.jpg
    SAM_1336.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 175
  • SAM_1338.jpg
    SAM_1338.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 178
It looks fairly decent for what you got, the most important thing though is how it sounds to you. Id recommend pulling everything off the wall a bit but if sounds right to you and you know how it translates to other systems you should be able to get decent mixes.

RokZtaR,

I recommend moving your mix setup to the corner area that you have already treated. Symmetry at mix position is critical.
Place your desk so that it is facing the corner @ aprox. 45 degrees... so that your back in toward the rest of the room. You must put more traps on the low ceiling overhead and it is very important to center yourself between the two walls in front of you (to the left and right).
Some testing is in order to find the optimum distance from the corner. I recommend using REW (Room EQ Wizard available from home theater shack forum). It's free and easy to set up.

You will need more trapping as well. Don't forget the horizontal corners that you can trap - floor/wall & ceiling/wall corners.

Cheers,
John

Get rid of the "wife workout area" and you're golden.

J/k. I think that you need symmetry on either side of your listening position.

I wrapped all my panels in a black polyester fabric, not thinking of the fact that I have a fawn colored pug that sheds like mad. :mad:

Thank God my studio has dim lighting! :rolleyes:

Back