Ever heard of Yamaha NS-144 Speakers?

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
I found some used Yamaha NS-144 speakers, $60 for the pair, at a consignment shop yesterday. I took a picture, but a quick google images search will bring you better quality then the one I snapped yesterday. They look like overwsized Yamaha NS-10's! Although I'm most certain they DO NOT compare, or else they'd be in the 4 digits rather than 2! :P

Just wondering if anyone's heard of these and if you think they'd be worth getting, not as a main pair of monitors, but more for A/B'ing to a larger speaker with lower bass frequency range(I primarily use x2 M-Audio BX5a Deluxe Powered Monitors in my small control room). These NS-144's are not powered. I know they're retro, but they look cool and in turn I'm hoping they sound good too! Pipe dream?

For $60 just buy them and find out.
Even if they suck, some numnuts will spend twice that for white cones.

I saw a few user reviews saying they were comparable to ns10s, but much bassier.
Can't help but feel people would say that though.

One guy said he saw a pair in a 'pond shop'. Either it's a genuine aquatic supplies store, or a hilarious misinterpretation. :)

I found some used Yamaha NS-144 speakers, $60 for the pair, at a consignment shop yesterday. I took a picture, but a quick google images search will bring you better quality then the one I snapped yesterday. They look like overwsized Yamaha NS-10's! Although I'm most certain they DO NOT compare, or else they'd be in the 4 digits rather than 2! :P

Just wondering if anyone's heard of these and if you think they'd be worth getting, not as a main pair of monitors, but more for A/B'ing to a larger speaker with lower bass frequency range(I primarily use x2 M-Audio BX5a Deluxe Powered Monitors in my small control room). These NS-144's are not powered. I know they're retro, but they look cool and in turn I'm hoping they sound good too! Pipe dream?

If they work *and* you want a pair of ns-10 like speakers in a larger woodgrain cabinet then buy em. For a/b with another set @ 60 bucks it seems like a deal. ns10s aren't 4 digits for the pair any way you slice it :-) I don't like ns10s but lots of people do.

If they work *and* you want a pair of ns-10 like speakers in a larger woodgrain cabinet then buy em. For a/b with another set @ 60 bucks it seems like a deal. ns10s aren't 4 digits for the pair any way you slice it :-) I don't like ns10s but lots of people do.

That's true. I got £260 for mine and that was pushing it.($420)
They go for a bit more in the states, but i doubt an extra digits worth.

'pond shop'. Either it's a genuine aquatic supplies store, or a hilarious misinterpretation. :)
Haha!

Well guys, you've basically all convinced me to go buy them! Wait to go...now I'm off to spend more money on yet another item I don't "need" for the studio! But what fun would be it if things were any different? :P

I have a Marantz "Stereophonic" Receiver that I'll likely power them with. It's in mint condition and really is a beast! Although the one thing that isn't in mint condition is the cone on one of the NS-144's woofers. It has a small 0.5" dent right in the very center bulb of the cone, almost like someone pushed on it with their finger, curious what it would do (I know I did that once when I was a little kid). They have a bunch of receivers at the store, so I'll plug em in while I'm there before I purchase them.

Haha!

Well guys, you've basically all convinced me to go buy them! Wait to go...now I'm off to spend more money on yet another item I don't "need" for the studio! But what fun would be it if things were any different? :P

I have a Marantz "Stereophonic" Receiver that I'll likely power them with. It's in mint condition and really is a beast! Although the one thing that isn't in mint condition is the cone on one of the NS-144's woofers. It has a small 0.5" dent right in the very center bulb of the cone, almost like someone pushed on it with their finger, curious what it would do (I know I did that once when I was a little kid). They have a bunch of receivers at the store, so I'll plug em in while I'm there before I purchase them.

Doesn't matter pal. I'm sure someone would argue it, but it doesn't matter.
It sounds like you're talking about the dustcap. You could pretty much rip them off and it wouldn't matter.

I've never seen a pair with perfect dustcaps.....

Maybe that's why they all suck!! OMG!!!!

Doesn't matter pal. I'm sure someone would argue it, but it doesn't matter.
It sounds like you're talking about the dustcap. You could pretty much rip them off and it wouldn't matter.

I've never seen a pair with perfect dustcaps.....

Maybe that's why they all suck!! OMG!!!!

Shit man - I mixed TONS of stuff with my NS10s and had absolutely, oh wait.....

Back