Equilateral Theorum

Vigo

So i've got a new video monitor for my setup but right now that would need me to move the speakers further on the sides. My current setup doesn't allow me to move much in depth but only in side. The current triangle formed by me and speakers is equilateral but if i want to add the second screen, i'd have to widen my stereo image quite a bit.

take this for exemple https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5a/Geom_constr_eqtr00.svg/300px-Geom_constr_eqtr00.svg.png

The new triangle would get me (Point C) at 3 feet from each speakers but the speakers would be at 5 feet from each other (point A to B) This would pretty much be this triangle http://lamaleph.free.fr/images/cos2.gif

Will widening my stereo image this much be REALLY bad or i can go ahead with it. What are your thoughts on it?

It might be okay but in my experience that makes you tend to mix the centered stuff too loud relative to the panned stuff.

Last edited:
It might be okay but in my experience that makes you tend to mix the centered stuff to loud relative to the panned stuff.

that's exactly the opposite of what I have experienced...interesting, I usually bring the edges more forward in the triangular setup so it creates a centre that sounds weak and sometimes lacks solidity, you loose the phantom centre which is very important especially in the bass.

hmm since you two had different experiences i guess i'll just try myself and see waht happens anyways what's done can be undone i guess

Carl Tatz, who is a world class studio designer recommends that monitors should be 67.5" apart.
I read that in an article he did awhile back, and I even wrote to him just to confirm his measurements and why he was so specific.

Carl Tatz Design - Acoustic Design, Analysis and Implementation

He said:
The apex should be eighteen inches from the front of the console with your head inside that triangle. 60" is wrong and won'r work. 67.5" does and that means at 30 degrees. This is not a suggestion but a mandate if you want great imaging

My monitors were already over 5' apart (I think I had them at 65") and I use the equilateral triangle of that size....but then, I have a console, so because of that, it fits my setup just right, and it's really makes for good imaging to have that width and distance.
I have a pair of 22" computer monitors on the meter bridge, and when I'm, editing, I can roll in closer, and lean in over the console a bit, so my nose-to-screen distance is only 3'...then when I'm actually mixing/listening, I just straighten up and lean back a bit into the point of the triangle. I also like to sit just inside the triangle point, rather than at the point...it's less hyped that way.

I know that for your typical "computer studio" that seems rather extreme, since most home-rec guys will sit about 2' from the screens with the monitors on either side of the computer....but your imaging becomes mono-ish like that...so don't be afraid to go wider. You can always move your keyboard/mouse closer to you, and at 3' nose-to-screen, you should still be able to see the DAW graphics well enough....assuming of course you have the room to do that.

Back