Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Electrical system for studio, tips, tricks, advice?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Thanks Alan.
    I can quite see the logic and of course when you can 'DIY' and are qualified that makes things easier. A UK 'electrician' would cost eeenough! I dread to think what a studio savvy electrican tech would charge!
    Dave.
    The OP did say he was pulling out the electrics and replacing them in the 1st post?

Alan.

Thanks
    I will be doing electrics anyway since I'd like te studio gear on a seperate fuse.

Since I live upstairs pulling everything to the actual earth wont be easy. So I,m planning to use a big fat cable to connect to the earth in the fusebox. You guys have left confused about if the earth cables should have the same size so I'm considering to not do that and just connect them serialy in stead of paralel(these are the dutch terms translated, no idea if this makes sense).

What is the benefit of using a different phase for the studio?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicus View Post
    I will be doing electrics anyway since I'd like te studio gear on a seperate fuse.

Since I live upstairs pulling everything to the actual earth wont be easy. So I,m planning to use a big fat cable to connect to the earth in the fusebox. You guys have left confused about if the earth cables should have the same size so I'm considering to not do that and just connect them serialy in stead of paralel(these are the dutch terms translated, no idea if this makes sense).

What is the benefit of using a different phase for the studio?
    Ok, sorry, mainly my fault I suppose. I will give you MY idea of what to do and hopefully people better qualified than I (bearing in mind OP is in 230V Land) . will comment?

If ALL you are going to do with the cable is power the studio gear, PC, mixer, amps di-da. Yes, just run in a 4mm or bigger cable (16A breaker? Does not need 4mm but that does give you a fatter earth) . If however you are also powering a heater I would run another 2.5mm* in for that on a another breaker. If you need lights, another 6A feed in 1.5mm*.

IF it were me! I would run the heaviest cable in I could fit to a 3 or 4 way "Consumer Unit' (Google it) and site that on the wall in the studio. Then the 'clean' feeds for audio come from that, 16A plenty. Lights and a third 'dirty' 16A for heaters and Hoovers. But, YOU might not get that passed by The Man?

Different phase? No advantage comes to mind? All 3 phases end up with the same earth, the incoming cable armour here (we have VERY few over head supplies) .

Nitrile gloves and Kevlar helmet on!

*I do not know the official cable ratings over there.

Dave.

Thanks
    Standard cable thickness for all things electric is 1.5mm. I've looked for 2.5 or thicker bit the biggest hardwarestore in the ficinity did not have anything other then 1.5. However the earth going to my fusebox, already on first floor, is I think also 1.5. This leaves me with 1.5 or running a new and thicker earth from the downstairs neighbours in the actual earth up to my studio. This intimidates me a bit . You sure this thickness is needed. Doesnt a higher voltage mean lower resistance in the cables?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicus View Post
    Standard cable thickness for all things electric is 1.5mm. I've looked for 2.5 or thicker bit the biggest hardwarestore in the ficinity did not have anything other then 1.5. However the earth going to my fusebox, already on first floor, is I think also 1.5. This leaves me with 1.5 or running a new and thicker earth from the downstairs neighbours in the actual earth up to my studio. This intimidates me a bit . You sure this thickness is needed. Doesnt a higher voltage mean lower resistance in the cables?
    No, the fact that we run twice the voltage does not lower cable resistance! It just means for a given power pull you need 1/2 the current and so lose only 1/2 the voltage across the cable. THAT means for any given load we can get away with thinner cables (basic power transmission line physics)

But! For audio we want to minimize the tiny (but a BASTARD!) 'situp' voltage on the earth wire so that needs to have as low a resistance as possible.
    If 1.5mm is allowed for a 16A power run (we ARE very conservative in UK!) fine but 2.5 cannot hurt. If allowed you could run 1.5 twin with earth and a parallel 6mm earth wire with it.

But I doubt you need to worry! I would bet a good tight, clean installation and arranging any distribution strips in star formation will keep things very quiet indeed. Not Abbey Road you are kitting out!

Dave.

Thread Information