Dumpster Diving!

longsoughtfor

Searching for the sound
I was driving past a glass company the yesterday and spied two wooden glass doors leaning against the dumpster. These were from the front of some store... they are big, heavy and solid.
Stopped in, made a quick inquirery about taking them... no problem... the guy helped load them into my van.... He shoots he scores!!!

Sorry, I'm just really psyched about these. The cost of doors for my studio has been looming in the back of my mind for a while now and these will do the trick nicely. They need to be stripped, sanded and repaired (minor) but they were free :) :) :D

Lesson: Always keep an eye out for bargins!

Cheers
Kevin.

I had a similar score a few months ago, only with some sheets of 1/4" and 3/8" laminated glass. Most sheets had some minor damage on the corners or ends and I think the smallest sheet would have been bigger than a door, so I am cutting it all down to size as required for studio windows etc.

:cool:

I hear you my friend. The glass between my control room and the studio was from two discarded french doors. Each piece is actually two pieces of tempered glass sandwiched together with a 3/8" airspace between them. Four pieces of glass total, three airspaces, 36"x 72", and best of all, free. Necessity is the Mother of Invention......or is that Frank Zappa? Hmmm......

i was putting my glass in the other day in my studio. had both 1/4" pieces of safety glass layed out on the floor, i was unpackaging the first pane and stepped backward onto the other one. needless to say, it didnt stand the pressure under my weight. (i am only about 155lbs.) luckily it was safety glass and didnt shatter all over the carpet. well, the glass company didnt replace it for free, much to my dismay! :) i claimed up and down that it was some sort of quality issue. haha! anyway, just thought i would share.

lynn

I generally have not found good, useful things in dumpsters. Occasionally I'll snag some cable or old lighting fixtures, but thats not recording specific.

Two seperate friends did get lucky... one found a beat up Charvel guitar (the 80's USA made one) and with a lot of sanding, refinishing, and replacing the chrome bits turned out to be a very sweet guitar. He did all the work himself.

The second friend found (about three years ago) two adats in a dumpster. Both looked like they had been used as footstools on a van halen tour, and neither worked quite right. He brought it over, and we quickly determined the issue was the power supply. So, we combed through and found both had a few fried parts in the power supplies, my assumption being the prior owner got zapped with a surge and decided not to bother fixing such beat up recorders.

Anyway, about $40 into the repair, both light up, both recorded, and both worked fine. One had about 1800 hours on the head, one had about half that. Not a bad find at all. :)

Im not alone!

As I continue to find parts for my studio I am glad to hear I am not the only one on the lookout in dumpsters. LOL

We must be cheap ;-) Or we would rather spend our money on gear rather than building materials.

I will post pictures of my pc box I am building completely out of recycled materials I am finding around the house.

Back