Drum Riser

Here are a couple of threads where others have done this; unfortunately, most of the pix have apparently been pulled by their owners. I think I'm gonna request that people post pix directly on our site so long-term usefulness is better; sorry for that. Hopefully some of the details will help -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3771&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4013&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

For lack of pix, what I'd use is two layers of 5/8" OSB (one layer of MDF or particle board UNDER one layer of OSB would be higher mass at same cost)

If you have a local source for mineral wool or rigid fiberglass insulation you'll need enough 2" to 3" thickness 3 to 5 PCF density to make a pad the size of your riser - typically this costs from $0.40 per square foot up to about $1 per square foot, so a 6x8 may cost $50 without any wood at all :=(

3 sheets of 5/8" OSB would cost roughly $50-60; then you'd need a box of 100 drywall screws, 1-1/4" - get the type used for fastening drywall to WOOD. Space them about every foot around the perimeter and along all the joints, follow all the text in my responses in the above two threads for more detail on construction.

Do NOT place this riser so any part of the wood platform touches any of your walls.

Even this heavy material would have audible resonances; that's why the solid, heavy insulation under. It will damp any resonances to the point where they should be inaudible.

HTH - I'll try to check back on this in a few... Steve

I posted a thread not too long ago about this same type issue... isolating my drumset from the floor. A couple people gave me some good replies. I don't remember the URL to the thread but I have the link I was referred to. http://www.dtxpressions.com/platform/ if you go check out that page, it's a DIY project for a platform using tennis balls. I built one this past weekend and it absorbs about 90% of the vibrations. Hope it helps.

So is the correct? on the gorund u put a layer of OSB then you put insulation on top of that, then MDF on top of that (how thick) then a layer of OSB on top of that. Now my most important question is must I use rigid or mineral wool for this project. the stuffs been owning my budget. I am hoping some cheap home depot stuff would work for this, but I have a feeling it won't do jack. One a side note....Will that tennis ball thing actually work? it seems like it would resonate like crazy.

Shout,
The latest post from Knightfly seems ok by me. I have done it this way several times for budget studios. The stuff you need to put under is 2” semi rigid fibreglass (ask for a density of 3 to 5 pounds per cubic foot.)

If you want to have a more solid base and you consider using 2 x 4 wood frame, then, as I was saying yesterday, you could place pads of rubber under the frame ...making them squeeze to about half their original thickness. You have to figure; the more pads you put, the less they will squeeze.

I once used "spongy" practice hockey pucks to do it!!
Good luck and keep us informed
Mike

Sorry shout, the insulation goes directly on your floor; then the MDF, and then the OSB at right angles to the MDF sheets so it's stronger. Use the screws to fasten the OSB to the MDF. At least 5/8 thickness on each sheet, more if you can afford it... Steve

Back