Double Wall OSB issue

molsonson

Hello all, first post here. So, right now my plan is to build a double frame garage one room studio. Garage is 20x26 w/ scissor trusses, inside room will be 18x24 with vaulted ceilings. The inside structure will have 2 layers 5/8" drywall with green glue, however, the outside structure of the garage is just one layer of OSB. I will be caulking and sealing the outside structure to make sure it is airtight. Ultimately, from the inside out I would have:

5/8"gypsum---greenglue---5/8" gypsum---r13 insulation---air-gap---r13 insulation---one layer OSB and siding.

There are no garage doors, it will be framed up and covered with OSB and insulation.

Wondering if anyone else has done something similar and what the results were. I obviously understand that having much less mass on the outside structure is going to create a less isolation, but am wondering by how much, as compared to the standard other wall of double 5/8 w/ green glue. Is going through the trouble/cost of adding two layers of OSB with green glue worth it? In my case, I just want to be able record and play in this space during the day, and play/mix quietly at night. The kind of music we play is much softer than a loud metal band (we are wurlitzer 200, synths, bass and a jazz kit). There is not heavy traffic in the alleyway, and the garage is at least 30 yards away from any home...there is a distant train that comes by every couple hours, but can deal with the occasional train horn.

Any advice?

Last edited:
While double drywall is often used for sound insulation, it is usually for sound originating on the outside, protecting the inside. I would investigate adding some sound absorption on the inside walls to cut down reflected noise. That drywall will be dandy at reflecting sound.

Back