Do you need to bass trap the closet?

Turtis21

So, as I stated in an earlier post, starting up a studio in a small ish room (11x14) that has two closets (3x2) on one of the short sides that have no doors or any way to close them off. Do I need to bass trap the corners of the closets as well as the room's main corners? should I make some broadband traps to stand as "doors" when I'm tracking and mixing?

If you're keeping noisy gear in the closets, no.

If you're actually going to try to use a closet as a vocal booth (which only actually works in the movies), then absolutely positively yes -- And you're not going to get away with only stacking traps in the corners...

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of retro-fitting a closet or two... Pull all the drywall (ALL of it), fill the voids with rigid fiberglass, cotton duck over that, strips on the studs -- Still sounded like crap (I mean, it's a frigging closet), but at least it wasn't resonating in the baritone range...

AFTER READING AGAIN: Okay, I probably shouldn't assume you're trying to turn closets into vocal booths -- Which would be great. If you're simply trying to trap the closets, that's a stellar thing to do. The more the better as at this point, they're simply resonant chambers. On the positive side, BEING resonant chambers, they can be quite effective as giganto-traps.

If you're keeping noisy gear in the closets, no.

If you're actually going to try to use a closet as a vocal booth (which only actually works in the movies), then absolutely positively yes -- And you're not going to get away with only stacking traps in the corners...

I've had the unfortunate pleasure of retro-fitting a closet or two... Pull all the drywall (ALL of it), fill the voids with rigid fiberglass, cotton duck over that, strips on the studs -- Still sounded like crap (I mean, it's a frigging closet), but at least it wasn't resonating in the baritone range...

AFTER READING AGAIN: Okay, I probably shouldn't assume you're trying to turn closets into vocal booths -- Which would be great. If you're simply trying to trap the closets, that's a stellar thing to do. The more the better as at this point, they're simply resonant chambers. On the positive side, BEING resonant chambers, they can be quite effective as giganto-traps.

I have no intention of making the closets vocal booths or putting noisy equipment in them. They are for clothes.

The resonant chamber thing is what got me thinking, if air trapped behind the traps makes them more effective then shouldn't I build a couple of broadband traps to completely cover the doors? I have a hinged door design in my head already.

As a note, do you think it would be better for my monitors to face the closets or face away from them?

Back