DIY - room treatment, pics included

DeadPoet

carpe diem
hi,

Well, I didi it, I went to the 'Brico' (home depot) and bought me some rockwool panels. Not an equivalent of 703, but ok for me. They're from the Rockwool company, but their website is impossible, on some products they have acoustical data, on most not, and the data is different on for example the Belgian and Dutch websites... this is what's on the package:

6 panels, each 5cm (2") thick, 100x60mm (3x2') with a RD of 1.45 which 'should' mean their acoustical data is:

125 250 500 1000 2000 4000
0.26 0.61 0.98 1.05 1.02 1.05

(these are actually figures for their 201-product, but they're VERY similar, so I guess the values for the stuff I have is just a little under these)

Attachments

• rockwool-label.jpg
    rockwool-label.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 245
Next I got me some pieces of wood, approx 5x2cm (2x3/4") from floor to ceiling, and attached the panels to it with these white plastic fasteners:

Attachments

• basstrap---top.jpg
    basstrap---top.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 241
These are the panels I have left, will put them on the wall where I have first reflections of the monitors.
already now I have way improved bass sound. Mind you, this was a near-square room (4x4.10x3.13 m) and I was having serious sub 200Hz problems.

not scientific at all, but my ears tell me it works :D :cool:

Herwig

Attachments

• rockwool---detail.jpg
    rockwool---detail.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 225
I'm gonna ad some rockwool at the top too and will put some cloth over it because now it's itchy time. Yikes this stuff is MEAN!

:p

Herwig

Attachments

• basstrap.jpg
    basstrap.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 227
Oh yeah, and this cost me €16.37 per 6 panels + about €3 per piece of wood + one package of fasteners... which is about €60...

Maximum space between rockwool and corner is about 54cm which should make the trap efficient to around 150Hz (330m/sec divided by 4x0.54)

Room sound very different off course, I didn't realise I still had that much reverb going on before I put up the treatment, and songs which I know have bass problems but couldn't hear before have now very prominent bass in them.

Herwig

That's cool. Cover those up with some cloth and you'll be in business. I can't wait to get my stuff done. I'm in the process of making my ceiling disappear ( I hope). I'm making panels of the OC 703 type stuff 5' x 4' x 2" and covering them in cloth. I'm gonna suspend them about 4" from the ceiling. I hope that does the trick. Then it's on to the walls:D

Back