DIY Reflexion Filter/Real Traps Vocal booth?

dickiefunk

Hi. Has anyone on here tried making a DIY mic stand mountable SE Reflexion Filter type thing? Please could you share your DIY booths and advice.

Thanks

Hi. Has anyone on here tried making a DIY mic stand mountable SE Reflexion Filter type thing? Please could you share your DIY booths and advice.

Thanks
Just build 2 2'x2' rigid fiberglass panels held together with hinges, then work out a way of having it the height you need(copy the real traps design, sorry Ethan :o)

I've found these 2 that people have made.
Anyone else tried making these or something else?
Which do you think would work better?

Attachments

• Portable Vocal Booth.jpg
    Portable Vocal Booth.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 906
  • Portable vocal booth 2.jpg
    Portable vocal booth 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,015
those may not do much, as i think the material they used is probably made more for diffusion then absorbtion.

those may not do much, as i think the material they used is probably made more for diffusion then absorbtion.
What, foam? :rolleyes: No i think they'd work fine, but rigid fiberglass panels would probably work better, especially at lower frequencies.

I made multipurpose rigid fiberglass panels that I can arrange into a quasi-reflection filter/vocal booth (with 3 or more sides). When I'm mixing and not tracking, I can lean them against the wall at strategic spots to act as room treatment. They are pictured here:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=228169

If I was JUST looking for a DIY reflection filter, I'd go with the 2 - 2'x2' hinged panel idea mentioned by pandamonk.

Thanks for the replies and sharing your ideas! Which design would you suggest as being most effective for recording vocals out of the 2 I posted? I would really like to stick to a stand mountable design if possible.

Thanks for the replies and sharing your ideas! Which design would you suggest as being most effective for recording vocals out of the 2 I posted? I would really like to stick to a stand mountable design if possible.
Probably the bigger one. With the smaller one, you'd have to get really close to it. It would be cheaper though.

Cool! ... Thanks!

What's the best type of foam to use and what thickness should I use? The guy who made this used foam that he already had to avoid spending any money.

I couldn't help showing of the reflection filter that I made. I used PVC piping to construct a holder that attaches to the mic stand. It's nice and stable and works like a charm....

Attachments

• DSCI0200_a.JPG
    DSCI0200_a.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 651
I bought the "Mic Thing" from SM Pro Audio for $219 and couldn't be more pleased :) Especially since it was a blind purchase and I had no idea if it would be useful or not. That's why they invented eBay though, right?

Now, certain cheap and more ingenuous folks might call me a fool but it came with a FREE rock-solid, bitchin' mic stand to boot! Money well spent and yes, it made a difference BIG TIME! My tracks are quieter and I like the subtle difference in tone I'm getting. That "subtle" difference I'm hearing is probably form the LACK of phase cancellation I was getting before. But who can say for sure? What I do know is that when I mute all other tracks and compare them, my vocals are MUCH quieter with this beauty. But some do prefer the look of "home made" so you can go that route as well. Personally, I'm a bit more fussy and it isn't worth the savings to sing into a big hunk of plywood. :D

Check it our here if ya like: http://www.gearwire.com/sm-pro-audio-mic-thing-wnamm.html

I couldn't help showing of the reflection filter that I made. I used PVC piping to construct a holder that attaches to the mic stand. It's nice and stable and works like a charm....

can you provide a picture on how you got it to stand up on that stand please.

thanks
ag

I know this is an old thread but..
I've been having some trouble getting my vocals in check. I moved out my old apartment and of course the new one doesn't have that " nice quiet perfect sound room" like my old one did. So I'm looking to get something to help me with that.
Has anyone here tried one of these? AE-F reflection filter I saw those forsale on ebay last week. It looks good and was cheap enough but just curious before I buy one.

I never understood these...

The cardioid pattern is mainly unidirectional with a null directly behind it. Wouldn't it be more useful to have gobos behind the source to block reflections off of the back wall? Or am I missing something?

The cardioid pattern is mainly unidirectional with a null directly behind it.

At 1 KHz maybe, but lows and low mids are more omnidirectional. See Figure 8 (and several others) in this PDF from the Shure web site:

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/pdf_ea_dual_diaphragm_mics.pdf

Wouldn't it be more useful to have gobos behind the source to block reflections off of the back wall?

I can't speak for other products by other companies, but when you put a RealTraps PVB behind the microphone, the sound of your voice is absorbed before it has a chance to get out into the room in the first place. Hearing is believing, and these two "slide show" videos prove the point:

RealTraps - PVB Demo (Kelly)
RealTraps - PVB Demo (Doug)

--Ethan

At 1 KHz maybe, but lows and low mids are more omnidirectional. See Figure 8 (and several others) in this PDF from the Shure web site:

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/pdf_ea_dual_diaphragm_mics.pdf

I can't speak for other products by other companies, but when you put a RealTraps PVB behind the microphone, the sound of your voice is absorbed before it has a chance to get out into the room in the first place. Hearing is believing, and these two "slide show" videos prove the point:

RealTraps - PVB Demo (Kelly)
RealTraps - PVB Demo (Doug)

--Ethan

Gotcha. Thanks for the links Ethan. I guess I hadn't realized that the patterns worked differently depending on frequency.

Learn something new everyday! :)

Back