DIY Portable Mic Booth Question.

NLAlston

Hello all.

I really didn't have time to search through here, as thoroughly as I would have liked to, but I am in need of some information on constructing a 'very portable' mic booth. From what I have seen here, thus far, those interested in buiding their own PVB's are focused on the larger units.

I recently visited Guitar Center just to see what they might have. The one unit that they did have (I don't remember its name) was made out of foam & aluminum, with an arc'd design - and sold for $300. On the internet, I also happened across a unit by RealTraps, which also sold for $300. Both of these units were secured to the mic stand, and I am interested in making something on the order of the 'RealTraps' design.

I am reasonably sure that just gluing two sections of foam (or similar) onto some plywood - and affixing same onto a mic stand in the same configuration as they have it - would not yield quite similar results. But I am also sure that any attempt would offer me much better results, in my vocal recordings, than I am now getting without such a unit. All of this leads me to two questions:

1). Has anyone taken up such a DIY task? If so, please let me know how you have fared.

2). In making such a unit, what would be the most important considerations that I would need to lean to?

If I could afford a manufactured unit, believe me - I'd surely shell out for one. But, alas, that is not to (presently) be. Any information would be HUGELY appreciated.

I am reasonably sure that just gluing two sections of foam (or similar) onto some plywood - and affixing same onto a mic stand in the same configuration as they have it - would not yield quite similar results.

We can't be too sure about the above statement unless we have the specs for this particular portable booth from guitar center. Correct me if I am wrong but my guess is that this "booth" is just some beautifully built box with a glass window and an interior that is 100% lined with foam. And since it is "portable", I do not see any possibility that it is anything close to isolated from external noise ("sound proof") considering the amount of mass and other factors you need to achieve that. What I'm trying to say is this portable booth might not be in any way special and if you find a cheap way of making your own, you will probably end up with something almost as good if not just as good as that one. Now this is not to suggest that I am endorsing this so-called portable booth from Guitar Center...far from it! Again, you have not provided the specs for this booth, but if it is anything like what I described above in my guess, then I would personally not get it...portable or not. It takes a lot more than "foam" to achieve decent sounding vocals, as you will learn if you dig up a little in this forum. And being that it probably doesn't offer me any kind of sound isolation, then I don't see the benefit of getting it. You might as well just go real simple and cheap if quality is not a priority and "build" something like this http://www.palmcitystudios.com/timobrien/music/soundbooth/simplesoundbooth.html

*This is an update*

I checked out the "portable booth" on Ethan's website (RealTraps) and if something like that (http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm) is what you were talking about then disregard my post up there. I'm sure that is not foam Ethan used to line that "booth". Which makes me wonder what it is...all he mentions on the site is "a pair of 2x2 foot absorbing panels joined with a hinge in a fully adjustable V shape" but does not mention how thick the absorbing material is and what it is. Maybe the experts have a better idea...

Good luck.

Last edited:
I checked out the "portable booth" on Ethan's website (RealTraps) and if something like that (http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm) is what you were talking about then disregard my post up there. I'm sure that is not foam Ethan used to line that "booth". Which makes me wonder what it is...all he mentions on the site is "a pair of 2x2 foot absorbing panels joined with a hinge in a fully adjustable V shape" but does not mention how thick the absorbing material is and what it is. Maybe the experts have a better idea...

Good luck.

Thanks.

And yes...this IS the one that I was thinking about constructing something of the order on. I need something about as small as this, as it would be frequently transported. I don't know how well it would serve four group members, singing in front of it, but (as mentioned earlier) it would have to be better than nothing :).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Reflexion/

This is probably what you saw at GC. Check out the specs for how/why it works for ideas about the best DIY approach.
It won't give you isolation, but I've heard them tame really horrible rooms, and give clean vocals.

Thanks, Whyseye. This is the one that I had seen at GC. Hopefully I can make something that will give me some degree of satisfaction, because I certainly can't afford to buy one at this time.

Back