DIY Performer Guitar Stand Project

Neeps

Calling all diy gurus!

gracie.jpg
kandm.jpg

I've always fancied one of these stands for my acoustic guitar. The Gracie stand is pictured on the left while the K&M stand is on the left.

You know how it is... one recording session you are getting great results and a great tone... but when you return the next night you get different results recording the same instrument in the same room with the same mics the same why you thought you set them up the night before!! It bugs the hell out of me anyway!

But any time I think about buying one of these things i'm never convinced that they would be worth the money. They are expensive and the gracie appears to have been discontinued while I suspect the lowest height of the K&M stand at 690 mm might be too high for sitting down with.

Anyway... I think it's a prime candidate for some form of a diy solution.

The need is to hold an acoustic guitar in a fixed position that remains playable. Preferably from a sitting position.

Before I start trying to superglue my acoustic guitar onto a mic stand does anyone have any ideas... kinda hoped this could be a wee group project.. mainly since will probably make an arse of it on my own :)

The solution wouldn't need to look like either of the pictures above as long as it held an acoustic guitar firmly in place without breaking it.

All ideas welcome..

Thanks
Al

Just looks like a cymbal stand with something attatched. how much are they? You can probs get a good cymbal stand for £30 and make the other bit, maybe from a guitar stand. Nice to see a fellow Scot :D

I've made 2 quick drawings in paint. I think the second would be better.

Attachments

• guitar stand.JPG
    guitar stand.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,294
depending on diy cost, you can get a stand for under $90...

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/modules.php?name=catalog&file=product_info&products_id=1161

or cough up $220 for a Gracie...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7348954993&category=47063

:-)

or if you record sitting (or standing) use a stage hand trick - mark all floor positions with an x (use paint edging tape) and make some notes on measurements so you can reset the equipment. might want to record temp and humidity as well as any trim, compression and eq settings made...

maybe a simple bracket on a stand with a bungie-cord to clip on the guitars strap hooks would suffice....

Nice Guitar! Can you do a horse?

The Gracie guitar stand was at least 200 dollars and the K&M stand costs about £90...

The clamping system is the issue... I think it would need to be quite tight for it to be stable... I was thinking about trying those things that you use to clamp desk lamps to desks... you know with the screw type clamp... but I'm not sure how I could fit them to a stand

Mbrace-1.jpg
I think the thing about the mbrace system (above) is that you need a strap peg on your acoustic guitar at the neck and all three of my acoustics don't have one of those...

The Gracie on the other hand is too expensive...

I think Pandamonk has the right approach... to design/build an attachment for a shortened mic stand or cymbol stand would be the ideal solution...

Something like this would be perfect if it was wider...
ME9376B_LG.jpg

At the moment I've a mic stand with a boom arm that is doing nothing and could be used...
mic-stand---akg.gif

I would need to saw a little off the bottom to make it useful when seated...

If those damn table clamps were a little wider (they are only 6 cm wide) two of them would have been perfect they would have even screwed onto the boom arm!!

on the other hand maybe I should add pegs to my acoustic guitars and get myself an mbrace... has anyone used these?

Meanwhile back in the spare parts department..... ah there it is, old deep snare stand, fully adjustable and clamps down on a guitar pretty well ( wow cool!! holds a keyboard too.) And the other part, a wide leg cymbal stand, makes for easy hight adjustments. I knew all those extra pieces of drum hardware would come in handy someday.

I've built something out of an old keyboard stand, mdf and some pipe insulation.

I'll post a photo soon... wait till you see this thing I couldn't make it look any more diy if I wanted to!

Back