DIY Patch Panel

Creamyapples1

www.murphycabs.com
So I'm thinking about building a custom patch panel to unite the ins and outs of my board and soundcard into one easy to reach location. Would something like this, be what I'd need (connector wise)? or do I not get it at all?

http://www.markertek.com/Product.as...t=ACONNECT&prodClass=SPCON&mfg=&search=0&off=

If so, which one?

NJ5FD-V: 2 x switching (normalling) Stereo Jack (T/TN/R/RN/S).
NJ6FD-V: 3 x switching (normalling) Stereo Jack (T/TN/R/RN/S/SN).

I'm open to any suggestions

Thanks in advance

peritus said:
Are you sure you want stereo jacks? Seems like mono would be more appropriate for recording.... Either way..

Whenever you are buying or building a 1/4" patch bay, always spend the extra pennies to use TRS (stereo) jacks.

While you may not have a need for it today, someday you will acquire gear that has balanced in or (and) outs, and you'd then have to require if you didn't think about this ahead of time.

I learned this the hard way 10 years ago. While most of my synth modules have mono jacks about half my outboards do have balanced ins/outs. Also stereo jacks are a frugal way of extending your insert jacks (which are stereo) to your patch bay. Then you plug the breakout patch cord into that.

It doesn't hurt anything to wire for balanced audio, and use mono equipment and mono patch cords.

Hey guys, thanks for the info! Would you suggest 2x or 3x? and what's the difference?

Here is my idea. Rather than running fixed wires to my gear, I'm wanting to attach the connectors to the front and back of the unit. I'm renting atm so my setup isn't permanent, sure it'll cost a little more, but I can deal with that.

As far as channel inserts go, is there anything special about running them to a patch panel? Or will a typical 1/4-1/4 cable work for the run to the panel?

Back