DIY Basstraps

Hi, I'm about to pull the pin on treating my room, I have bought everything I need to build 5 4x2 panels and 2 basstraps. It should hopefully be a start.

I like the design for the corner traps as seen in this YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...&feature=iv&src_vid=l8eSkoT2buA&v=fiJ6mI450c4 but....

I read somewhere that it was a good idea to cover the insulation with plastic? not sure why but it does look less enclosed than on he panels?

Any thoughts / tips/ gratefully received :)

Cheers

I didn't watch watch the video, but I wouldn't cover the panels in plastic. I used breathable material for two reasons; it allows sound to travel through it better so you don't get reflections from high freqs, and it was cheap. I used a light polyester fabric. A good test is if you can easily blow through it, then it is light enough to allow sound to travel through it. I think fabric is a nicer aesthetic finish than plastic, too.

Good that you're treating your room. You won't actually notice the difference until you play your tunes outside the studio.

Thanks for the quick reply Chilli, I managed to source a cheap fabric off the net but the design seems quite "open" and I was wondering about dust / fibres from the insulation? the panel designs are enclosed in so much as they are wrapped in fabric whereas the corner traps are chunks with a system like a speaker grill in front?

I am definitely feeling now that the from would benefit from treatment, if it helps me mix its money well spent.

I like everyone else have all my guitars hanging in my music room, I defiantly notice they "ring out" sometimes I was thinking of putting cloths over the strings? anyone else?

Cheers
Bruce

I skimmed through the video, didn't listen. Not sure where you see plastic being used? Looked like he used a black cloth first (which holds the insulation in place so that the outer cloth isn't doing the work.

I like that particular youtube video. Especially at the end in regards to the treatment being built into the walls with fabric across the faces with wood trim. I have the opportunity to do a bunch of that in my studio and am in process of planning this.

As far as the plastic, I have never heard that to be a good thing for a build. Only in cheap temporary DIY bass trap placement where leaving the plastic on the rolls of pink stuff. The plastic will reflect a bit, which is something that is less of an issue in a round bundle. I recall that less of the lower mid frequencies were absorbed with the plastic, but lower end frequencies were not affected. Meaning not ideal for building of a bass trap, but just a temporary small room help.

From my recollection of research that I did 6 years ago when I first built my treatments. 'Kraft paper' on the outside of 6" deep corner trap is supposed to give some benefit for bass traps in corners, but not much. I do also remember that if you are able to do some creative framing, a 4" thick x 3' wide Roxul or OC705 with stuffing of 'pink stuff' actually outperforms a 'superchunk' approach. And quite a bit less expensive. But this usually involves some creative mounting framing techniques. Much easier to do if the studs are open to build from.

So hey Bruce, what have you found for cheap 'breathable' cloth on the net? I have been noodling around and found some stuff for $.70 yd. recently. Waiting for a sample to be delivered today, but at that price only comes in unbleached white. Yuck! 3 times the cost for colored but if the cloth works... Wondering if DIY dying is an option...I am looking at over 80 yards of 60" fabric and am getting into the bulk pricing discount there.

Anyway, Cheers to you as well!

Jimmy

Hi MJB, sorry it wasn't that video it was somewhere on the John Sayers site but typically now I'm looking I cant find it :)

Hi Jimmy, thanks for that yeah leaving the plastic out is making sense, I've been hedging around this for ages too, mostly due to my lack of skills with tools, but I'm gonna have a go... and post the results as I go:)

I definitely don't have access to the same range of suppliers that you guys have in the states, I've gone for Camira black which is about 10 dollars a metre (1.7m width) I only need around 8m for this project so its not so bad.

I reckon by the time I've bought everything I should be around 30pounds per unit 5 2 x 4 panels and 2 corner traps so happy with that if it goes to plan.

Pics to follow :)

In my travels I came across diffuser plans too, anyone rate them? now that I'm getting the chop saw warmed up :)

Hey Jimmy, I got my fabric from the clearance bin at Walmart. $1/linear foot x 60" wide. It was a good deal.

I don't know what the Walmart equivalent is in Scotland, but try that when shopping around. Some people use burlap canvas, but I don't think that's necessary. You're going to be looking at the traps for many years, so make them nice looking. You definitely want to cover up the complete panel with fabric to keep the fibers contained, especially OC703 which crumbles easily. It's not a carcinogen, but you don't want loose fibers floating around either.

I have 2" thick panels and put regular pink fluffy behind them in each corner. Rolled them up, taped them and threw a roll behind each corner panel.

I bought burlap in some nice colors for my first traps. Used regular cotton sheets (get them an color you like) for the 2nd batch.

Hi guys, thanks for all the comments.

I've got 4 built so far, and am starting on the corners next weekend, as everyone has said it wasn't as hard as I anticipated :)

They've appeared in reverse order for some reason but you get the gist...

I used 69mm x 19mm redwood and 50mm RW3

Used an old sheep to cover the back and an acoustic material for the front, staples, brads and glue and that's it!

My wife helped out with the corners :)

Hung with picture hooks, easy peasy!

Attachments

• IMG_1648sm.jpg
    IMG_1648sm.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1649sm.jpg
    IMG_1649sm.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5