DIY Bass Trap Panel question

GlowPlug

eh Dudes,

I'm building a few 2'x4', and 4" thick, DIY wood framed bass trap panels to be placed in the 4 corners of my room. I was planning using some 1x4 wood planks, and drilling bid holes in the side to let the air/sound through, and wrapping it with some burlap cloth. (Yes, I'm poor but I gotta do something)

But, I'm wondering will I get better results with using OC 705, or 703?

Will the 705 really buy me that me that much more bass absorption compared to the 703.

or would I just be better off building the panels 6" thick using 703?

I would vote 703 (or even mineral wool is cool I think). 4" is good, 6" is even better for bass if you can swing it. And I have been successful building 2' x 4' 4" panels using 1"x2" boards for the frame, reinforced with wedges of wood at the corners cut from 2x4's or whatever. I make the frame a little smaller than the absorbant panel, put it against the back of the panel, and staple the fabric around the back of it. Wah-la! You now have absorption taking place on the sides of the panel as well.

Exactly.

If money is tight, you can do 6" of 703 for 75% of what 4" of 705 will cost you and it will perform just as well or better.

Bryan

Back