Dirty Power/Amp Noise

murfin

I recently moved to a new house and now my guitar amps make extra noise. It doesn't sound like ground loop hum. This is a Strat w/single coils running through a Fender Hot Rod. Did anyone else have electrical issues in their home studio and how did you fix them? I've been looking at the Humx (only seems to be for ground loop issues, don't think it will work here), the AmpRX Brown Box, various power conditioners, or do I need to get electrical work done on my house?

Attachments

• Guitar Amp Noise - Output - Stereo Out.mp3
    884.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi there,
Does moving around alter the noise any? That sounds more like something being picked up.....by the pickup.
I get a nasty buzz going on if my fluorescent lights are on, or if I sit to near my interface as it has a mains transformer in it.

So many things can do that - Anything with a transformer, lighting, AC..all sorts.
Rule out the simple things first. :)

Get rid of CFLs in the room (replace with LEDs) and any dimmers on the same circuit. See if that makes a difference. It'll save some money on your electric bill if nothing else! (It made a noticeable difference in my little music room.)

Not sure if moving around affects the noise. I have another session with the same guitarist Saturday. I'll check it out.

I have another session with the same guitarist Saturday. I'll check it out.

Is this specific to his guitar?
A single coil strat, by design, will pick up any noise you put near it, but if the issue is isolated to one guitar it may have grounding issues or a fault making things worse.

Back