Different idea for absorber panels...

marshall409

Just thinking out loud here...

Instead of building a frame, could I just lay the 703 or comparable material on a piece of plywood, mdf, hardboard, etc. and cover it in fabric tight enough to hold it in place?

No frame, the shape would just be held by the fabric. Would this work?

Adam

Ok so if this is a terrible idea I hope someone replies early tomorrow cuz this is what I am planning on doing:

Buying 2 sheet of plywood, MDF, hardboard or similar material (whatever's cheapest at the hardwood store)

Two 4x8 sheets, I'll have them cut it both ways so I get 8 2x4 sheets from it.

A bat of Roxul Safe N Sound insulation from the local home depot is 37 dollars (8 2x4 sheets...how convenient!) . However, there is another supplier that happens to have a location right here in St. Catharines that apparently may sell something closer to 703...It won't be open til Monday though and I have a customer coming in. I would love to have these panels completed to set up around him and the mic for vocals at least.

So anyways, either way whatever type of insulation I end up getting, what I plan on doing is just laying it out on the plywood and covering it in fabric. This is a very low-cost and basically construction free way to get the material hanging on the wall....but will it work? When I hang them on the walls does their have to be an airtight gap between the wall and the panel or can it just be spaced out from the wall?

Considering this is the cheapest thing I can do at the moment, do you guys think it will be worth it?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice,

Adam

Leaving the final say for the experts, but if I'm not mistaken there is some value to having the backside soft also and a gap to the wall.
However I did some in a similar fashion -soft mounted on ply backing but I need framed as they're large enough to do moveable sections stood up or on their sides; 6 1/2' x 4' x 4" and 6" depths.) That plus some overheads.
If it's ridged stuff you don't really need a backing at all.

there is some value to having the backside soft also and a gap to the wall.

Yes, especially for panels meant as bass traps that straddle corners. The back must not be obstructed with wood. Even for panels flat on a wall, leaving the back open and spacing them off the wall a few inches is best. However, if a panel is mounted flat against a wall, having a back is okay.

Another option is to use brown corrugated cardboard instead of wood. The type of cardboard they make shipping boxes from. That way bass frequencies will pass through the cardboard, but you still get some structural support from the cardboard.

--Ethan

Thanks everyone.

What if Im using these as gobos..then is it okay to have wood on the backÉ

Adam

However I did some in a similar fashion -soft mounted on ply backing but I need framed as they're large enough to do moveable sections stood up or on their sides; 6 1/2' x 4' x 4" and 6" depths.)
Works for me. :D
As always you keep in mind mic's relationships/distances to hard surfaces in any and all cases. ('3-1, 'Haas and others are in play here.
My deeper 4x6 foot (lays sideways between bass and kit) is soft both sides, with a heavy center ply’ (off center actually) to provide maximum barrier’ effect. Otherwise I used ¼ ply’ to keep the weight down.
Pick your poisons. :)

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud here...

Instead of building a frame, could I just lay the 703 or comparable material on a piece of plywood, mdf, hardboard, etc. and cover it in fabric tight enough to hold it in place?

No frame, the shape would just be held by the fabric. Would this work?

Adam

Well, I've done something kinda that: I have R-19 fiberglass batts on top of 1" duct board (basically like 703) cut in big rectangles and then fabric covering the batts and wrapping around to the back, foil side of the duct board and held on with... you guessed it... duct tape! Anyway, I just use drywall screws through little 1/4 plywood cleats in the corners and screw the panels onto the ceiling, duct board foil side up with the fabric covered batts on the bottom. Obviously, it doesn't give me the low end performance I'd get with something spaced from the wall, but it handles the high end just as well and it's light and easy to do.

Cheers,

Otto

I ended up gluing cardboard from some shipping boxes to the back of each batt, then wrapping it in fabric using 3M Spray adhesive and staples. They turned out great. I used them today set up in a little circle (almost a completely enclosed circle but not quite) around a singer and the tracks are quite noticeably cleaner and "deader" which allowed for much easier mixing.

I only made 4 so far...I'm not sure if I;m going to build 4 more the same way or change the design or use the material for something different...more on that later.

For these 4 me and my dad are going to build some stands out of pvc. They will basically be like big easels, two pipes sticking straight up with a little u shaped piece sticking out at 3 feet from the ground on both sides. I'll explain better tomorrow with some pictures.

Thanks everyone for your input

Adam

Back