Difference between cheap and less cheap audio interface.

Ex3vious

Hey guys,
I've had this interface for years, got it because it was about 70 bucks. However the output is messing up and the audio cuts in and out. Now while I obviously need something that just works I also would like to get something that is going to sound better. But after some google searches it seems very confusing and I don't know why some interfaces cost $50 and some cost $250.

I'm looking at getting this.
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 | Sweetwater.com

Currently have this.
Product: US-100 | TASCAM

I primarily record guitar and bass using the line in, but I also have an SM57 that I occasionally use.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

Branding, 'features', preamps (number/quality), quality of drivers, number of inputs.

Most interfaces in the $100-250 range will sound more or less the same, barring a few terrible ones, but have more or less features - sometimes you pay for the brand name on the front too.

The Scarlett has twice as many inputs/preamps (cant comment as to wether the preamps are better or not but both brands have a reasonable rep in that price range), line/instruments swtiches on the jack inputs and -10db pads. It also has outputs on TRS jacks as well as RCA, and mixer software included, rather than using the balance knob to control the mix.

If you think you'll use that stuff, then that's what your paying for.

Last edited:
Back