Desk placement in basement studio

AjentK

Hey Everyone,

I'm fortunate enough to have a basement to work in. I have my mixing desk crammed in a corner right now but I'm looking to position the desk in another part of the room that would offer better acoustics and results for my mixes. I realize the room is not ideal for mixing audio (is it ever?). The ceiling is low and un-even in the middle and every possible position has a challenge. I'm only renting so construction or tearing down walls is out of the question but I'm willing to invest in acoustic treatment once a good desk position is decided. Does anyone have any suggestions on where the mixing desk could go in this basement? I've attached pictures and room dimensions. Thanks!

Attachments

• basement studio.png
    basement studio.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0988.jpg
    IMG_0988.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 11
If it was a perfect rectangle...the norm (not the absolute) would be to place it at one end of the far rectangle walls....but your long ends are kinda awkward for that, IMO...so I would place the deck right where that TV/media setup is located.

Your short walls are still fairly deep, and it would also be good because then your side walls would be very far away, and not interact with the monitors.
Then just put up some traps on the walls, and that should get you started...and then you can tweak as needed with more acoustic panels.

Back