Decorative stone for diffusion?

Kapo_Polenton

Well, I've FINALLY got my studio in the works. Just need to paint and install flooring.. However, seeing as i have some time and have been doing some reading, if i have a 7.5 foot ceiling and a room that is about 26 x 16 (a few bulkheads too), would there be any merit in putting some of that decorative stone (sold at home depot, facing and is not flat, certain stones protrude more than others) on the far wall behind where I am going to put my drum kit? There isn't any exact science behind the way the stone is designed, it just looks good and is meant to stick on to walls. Would this provide any level of useful diffusion for my smaller and height challenged space? I plan to gets ome acoustic treatment as well but while i am working on the room I wondered about this.

Thoughts? It might not be that much cheaper than buying some ready made products but it would look cooler though i'm sure!

I would think if you are going to have a live room or section of a room, where you have some absorption already in place, an irregular surface stone wall would be better than flat sheet-rock/wood walls...but the other surfaces need to be considered and the overall acoustics of the space.
I've seen stone walls in many pro studios...but of course, they were put there in conjunction with all kinds of other treatment and not just for looks...but you know, go for it, aesthetics make a difference too. :)
Once the stone wall is in...then assess the acoustics and add what else you need to fine tune it.

Thanks for the replies guys.. that's what I figure as well. Acoustic panels and bass traps are the priority but on a section of the wall it can't hurt to consider aesthetics too. A space that inspires is always a bonus. I was also thinking a few square feet of this wood panel for one section of the wall. It is uneven and has sections that stick out like the stone but finish and color wise, it might be nicer Friendly Wall

I guess this is where we balance the "look" with the "Science". As i have no way of knowing what difference this could make, I can only assume as you guys have that if i treat the lower frequencies first, the rest is just bonus.

Well, I like your thought of having decorative stones in your room, These stones not only give an attractive look but also help in improving your property value.

Back