Custom DIY Racks

frederic

Here are pictures of my racks, with most of the gear installed. And the pictures are smaller this time :)

A four racks. 6U on top and 18U on the bottom.

You might notice the ceiling slants over these racks, so this is an excellent place for them since human's can't stand near the wall due to the height.

At the point where the slanted ceiling meets the wall, there is a 1U "rack" mounted on the slanted ceiling, which contains an ADC 48pt patch bay, which connects to a 48U TRS snake which connects to ADC144pt bays further down the line in/near the console table. To attach gear to the patch bays, ordinary 1', 2' and 3' patch cords are used. This should save wear and tear on the snake(s).

in between the four racks (right behind the three center 2x4 studs) on the floor are three dual gang isolated outlets (total 12 outlets between each rack) that share ground with the rest of the studio gear.

All four racks are on a 15A circuit that has capability of having a breaker swap to 20A should I add more power hungry gear.

Attachments

• jam013.jpg
    jam013.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 260
Track Rat said:
Looking very functional sir!

Thank you.

Its very functional. Ugly, but functional. I haven't installed the top plate that will hide the ugliness yet. I actually had it cut properly but someone used it as a shelf in the kitchen :(

Anyway....

Rack Three

Top:
Chandler Overdrive Tube Driver
Yamaha MU90R
Roland SC880
Roland M-DC1
Korg Triton

Bottom:
Yamaha G10C (2)
Akai FM Radio (1U)
Yamaha TG55 (2)
Motu 7S
Tascam 202MKII
JL Cooper MSB+
3U Open space

Attachments

• jam016.jpg
    jam016.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 160
The outboard (forth) Rack:

Top:

Unitor 8
AMT8
Blank panel as placeholder for AMT8 I can't find
Akai ME10D
Fostex 16-ch 2U stereo mixer (outboard summing)

Bottom:

Midiverb II
Quadraverb II
Art FXR Elite (2)
Yamaha R100 (2)
Zoom Studio Effects
Behringer Composer Pro
Behringer Virtualizer Pro
Ross DPX Mainframe (digital eq)
Ross RX15S EQ
2U Pentium 1G file server (stores midi, audio and configuration data)
Tascam MA-AD8 balanced analog to TDIF converters (2, one installed, one not).

Last picture...

This is my console area. Yeah, its a huge mess. Okay, its a REALLY huge mess :)

Lower left - Aiwa modified studio monitors with Vifa drivers.

Above that, my two Compaq Monitors for the computer(s).

In front of that, four of my six Tascam TMD-1000 consoles. These things are great for midi synth mixing - they are dirt cheap used, totally disposable if they break, and have built in effects and are fairly easy to use.

Far back, in center, a TMD-4000 32*8 bus console. Undernearth that are four akai DR16 recorders, and leaning in front of them is the DL-16 remote controller. FINALLY after four years of hunting I got one I could afford. Akai recorders don't like non-akai remotes. They are very finicky/crank recorders in regards to compatibility.

To the right of the TMD4000 is a flat rack (like a table) with a Samson MPL2242 mixer I use as my CR mixer (buss 1/2), the vocal foldback mixer (buss 3/4). The two computers connect to this as well for non-recorded "click here stupid" noise PC's like to make on occasion. Behind that is a 48pt patch bay for all of the MPL2242's I/O, and behind that is a RA100 amplifier for the CR monitoring, an OZ HR-4 for vocal foldback, and a few other things like my KVM switch, ethernet switch, etc etc.

Underneath are two computers, my new HP which is my main studio PC, and underneath that is a 4U rackmount PC that used to be my studio PC, but is now my "surf the net and install crap on me" PC as not to mess up my audio tuning efforts on the HP PC.

Hope you enjoyed looking.

frederic:

I have seen so many pics and lists of your gears. Great, and now I wanna hear your stuff that came out of those babies! :)

Post a link to your mp3s for me, would you?

AL

I'd have to do some cutting down in size... but I will see if I can find a place to shove it thats not terribly public, or maybe I could get off my ass and carry my file server down into the basement where it belongs. Its very noisy anyway, and doesn't belong in the bathroom :)

A1A2 said:
frederic:

I have seen so many pics and lists of your gears. Great, and now I wanna hear your stuff that came out of those babies! :)

Post a link to your mp3s for me, would you?

AL

Hi Frederic,

Looks real nice. I still didn't get a chance to thank you for the speaker modifications you sent me. Though I don't think I'll be making these mods anytime soon (Sounds a bit complicated...), I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Oren

Aren said:
Hi Frederic,

Looks real nice. I still didn't get a chance to thank you for the speaker modifications you sent me. Though I don't think I'll be making these mods anytime soon (Sounds a bit complicated...), I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Oren

Sure, no problem.

BTW, if you have a router (wood cutting device, not a network device :) ) its not that difficult to do. I did it and I'm a mere "monkey" :)

Frederic

Back