Critique/comments on my future vocal booth please....

...and treat the inside walls with foam or something like that.

You would have been better off simply covering the inside walls/insulation with cloth...not wood. That way you wouldn't need to treat the inside with additional absorption (and no, not foam).
For added soundproofing...the wood that you put inside, over the insulation, you could have put outside, as a second layer....same effect.

IOW...by covering the inside walls with wood...you actually created more issues for the acoustics, and now you need to do a lot more treatment to fix that.

Really huh? Well removing the wood and replacing with cloth is no real effort at all. By removing the interior layer, would I sacrifice some noise reduction?

Put the inside wood, on the outside after you remove it...but I would think that a layer of sheetrock on the outside would do more for reducing noise than another layer of wood.
If you go for the sheetrock, run some pencil beads of silicone adhesive caulk across the sheetrock before you screws it to the wood (don't nail it).
That should do a decent job. Then you can test it for soundproofing.

If you need more soundproofing...add another layer of sheetrock on the outside, and put it "across" the seams of the previous layer...IOW, don't have the seams all lined up for both layers.
You can add even a third layer if you need it. I mean, eventually you will hit the right amount for your needs.
Then just finish the outside with a nice coat of paint.
You could have done all sheetrock instead of wood...but it is what it is now.
You may want to add another layer of wood or something to the door on the outside.

That's where my logic goes.

On the inside, I would staple a layer of polyester felt across the walls...you can buy it by the yard at any fabric store, and it comes a variety of colors.
The felt has a nice thickness to it, and it's also a good tight weave, so the insulation will be well contained.
If you want to get crazy, do two layers of felt.
You will want to put something also on the inside of the door too...it's a big reflective surface. They have that perforated pegboard that would work well, and also add some mass to the door...then you can also put a layer of felt on that too.
Not saying you can't leave the wood and add some treatment...but I think you will have to cover it with the same kind of insulation that's already there, behind the wood. Maybe you prefer to go that route, and then you have to box off for more insulation...which will just eat up the small space you have. That's why I think adding more heft to the outside gives you more options to get the amount of soundproofing you want, without using up the inside space.

It really comes down to how my soundproofing and what volumes you be dealing with inside that booth.

Agree that multiple layers of dense material (sheetrock) on the outside will give the best isolation. Keep that rockwool open to air on the inside as Miro stated. You need as much of that as possible open to absorb sound reflections on the inside. The rockwool is doing not much good for isolation in this situation as far as I know.

More layers of dense material outside to isolate. More absorption on the inside to hopefully make it sound good...

Sorry, but in my experience it is better to record vocals in a large/ well treated room. Unless the singer is shy and doesn't want to be heard. Which would be odd... Though some singers like to be 'isolated'. Makes them feel better maybe?

Was going to say something else, but I was busy talking shit without the Talkback mic on: 'Sounds great man'! Talkback off: 'What the hell was that'?... Talkback on: 'Doing great, try it again'!

Hehe...

To each their own...

No, don't use foam! You're already going to be fighting a boxy sound from the wood 'booth'. Foam doesn't absorb any of the frequencies that contribute to a boxy sound.

Nearly done!

Just about finished, and I have to say I'm blown away by the results. Yeah she's not much to look at, but wow does it ever do the trick.

Even with me screaming inside, the sound outside the box booth is substantially reduced. No more worrying about neighbours, that's for sure. I also made a bunch of (lumpy) 3" rockwool acoustic panels and put them on the walls and ceiling. The difference it makes in transforming the sound from boxy and terrible to nice and dry (not sure what the term is , but it's now dead in there...I like it)

Have only had a few chances at recording a few tunes. I'm very impressed with the results. However, the air gets stale and hot in a matter of minutes, so the weekend I'll be sure to install my ventilation fans.

Anyhow, I'm very happy I went through with this. Most people called me crazy, but in the end I got exactly what I wanted.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Back