Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Critique/comments on my future vocal booth please....

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I can usually convince my wife to go do something elsewhere when I want to record electric guitar with some amp volume!
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    I can usually convince my wife to go do something elsewhere when I want to record electric guitar with some amp volume!
    Just what is it the wife does, when you convince her to go do something else? If it's shopping, a little of that could pay for the foam you were saying was too expensive. You could make an insulated cabinet for your amp, seal it up well, so most of the sound is kept inside the cabinet. It's done all of the time in small studios. The guitar needs to be turned up to a certain volume to get the preferred sound. This could keep the wife from shopping and you could maybe spend what you save on your vocal booth.

But, sometimes you have to let the wife shop so she lets you buy equipment. Then, you're back to square one.
    Music ~ the International Language

Thanks
    She's not a big 'shopper', so that's not a problem. Foam? waste of money, would have to fill a room with it to absorb even part of a guitar amp's output. AN iso box? Defeats my purpose in using an amp - the acoustic feedback as the sound hits the guitar & strings (not squeal feedback).
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Well construction is under way!! I've added a few pics in case anyone is interested in my progress.

The thing is WAY bigger in person than on my sketches....gulp!!!
    img_1599-jpgimg_1604-jpgimg_1595-jpgimg_1592-jpg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to m_roussakis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I hope you are putting it together with some thought to some future/eventual disassembly! (Going to be hard getting that out the door when the time comes.)
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Yes I thought of that. Unfortunately the only way it will ever get out of my front door is in pieces . I debated making it modular , but my skills are too limited . I instead I’m making it with screws, not nails so I can take it apart “easily” if and when I move. Either to trash it, or move it and reassemble it.

The thing will end up costing me about $300 Canadian . Really not that much , so it won’t KILL me to rip it apart in a couple years when I move .

If I can get 2 years of use out of it for $300 bucks I say that’s a win.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    1) Rockwool is not "soundproof". With sheetrock (2 layers) on the exterior, it may lower the transmitted sound down to an acceptable level. But if your gf is in the same room, she'll still hear you muffled - specially if you are as loud as you say. Sound gets transmitted through the hard surfaces as well - 2x3s to sheetrock, or the floor.

2)You're thinking of lights and ventilation 'later'? Luckily, it will get so hot in there that you won't be able to stay in too long before you have to open the door - otherwise staying in that room for 2 hours would produce enough CO2 in bring the level over 3% - danger territory. Any ventilation system as well as electric lines are going to leave a place for the sound to be transmitted.

3) Foam sucks. It absorbs (a little) high frequencies, but does nothing for the mids and lows. The result of your little vocal BOX is going to be a very boxy sound.
    I should have stated that 100% soundproofing is not the main objective. Hell, keeping quiet for the fiancée is even the main objective. She actually likes when I sing.

The goal here is to keep my singing from going through the front door into the condo hallway, and/or through the walls, ceiling, floor.

If this booth can cut my emitted decibels by even as little as 25% I'll be happy as can be.

Thread Information