Creating a Recording "Dead Zone"

Professionality

I don't have any space in my future home studio for a vocal booth. I'm on a tight budget. My room itself isn't completely dead yet and I've been thinking about buying some EZ Hang acoustic blankets and hanging them from hooks in the ceiling in a portion of the studio, "boxing" the microphone off from everything else. This way I can also take them down when I'm not recording anybody.

The blankets are only 6 feet tall and my ceiling is probably a good 9 feet. This would leave 3 feet open from the ground. Would any sound be able to enter the recording from underneath?

Also, would the blankets hanging alone be enough to deaden the sound inside the "boxed" area? There's not really ambient noise in my studio other than a very quiet PC. I'm mainly just concerned about those nasty natural reverbs.

Sorry if these are all noob questions. Thanks for any input guys.

I think that'd be fine. . . I think some guys go a little overboard with trying to create, or re-create, a super-dead and completely isolated vocal booth. . . Depends what you really need though. . . As for me, I'm not doing any voice-over work for Disney-Pixar and I don't see it happening in the future, so I just hang blankets and hit "record". . .

Right...I wouldn't get crazy trying to create a "dead zone"...you just want to tame some of the early reflections, the slap-back echo you get from hard sheet-rock walls and ceilings....otherwise, I think that leaving a little life in the room is better.

Just don't do vocals real close to the walls and hard surfaces....and maybe have some light treatment on the ceiling above the mic.

Most times you are using a cardioid pattern on vocals, so the back is already rejecting sound well enough, so it's mainly the sides and behind the singer that should have a bit of absorption/diffusion.

Back