Cost per-square-foot

framos

Can anyone give me an average "cost per-square-foot" for constructing a typical recording studio? I'm talking about a free-standing building without the cost of the gear factored in.
I'm currently thinking of modifying several small home (saltbox) and/or garage floor plans to accomodate a recording studio of about 1,200 square feet.
Also, can anyone tell me where I might find recording studio floor plans (of about the same square footage) on the Internet?

Thanks

Construction costs per square foot are going to vary widely depending on geographic location, construction techniques, and the level of finish out you want.
In my area, for slab-on-grade foundations, and typical 2X4 construction, the average cost per square foot varies from $40 to $65. That does not include typical "room within a room" studio construction, but rather a completed "shell" with electrical and HVAC.

Hmmm, a "typical" recording studio?

Wow, that's a loaded term.

You could consider a 1000 sq ft facility whose superstructure costs $50K to build. Then, add in $5K of acoustic treatment, and maybe $50K worth of Pro Tools gear. Now, spend about $10K on mics, $5K on monitors, $10K on nice instruments, another $5K on cables, stands, misc.

Now you're up to $135K for a 1000 sq ft facility. I'd think a modest, yet truly pro studio will cost somewhere between $100 and $150 a square foot. That requries discipline too.

Since the equipment is somewhat independent of the room size, a square foot pricing is not very relevant. I'd go with superstructure costs on a square foot basis, then have a separate budget for gear.

John, wasn't it one of your studios that was on mix mag...or did I get there from a link on one of your sites? Anyway, how many sq feet is a decent recording studio with vocal booth, maybe two more iso booths, break area, main room, control room and whatnot.

50-100 seems like quite a range. Can anyone give examples of their total cost vs sq ft estimates? (not including gear, but maybe wiring)

--MIKE

Back