corners

hamiltonbelk

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my home studio and I have a a question about low end treatment. In my room, only one of the corners can functionally house a bass trap. The other corner is adjacent to the front door of the house. Where the third would be is an 3 foot wide opening to a hallway, and the 4th is actually two 135º corners due to an angled door. I will have my monitors and desk at the end of the room with the angled door and the one corned that could have a bass trap. My question is, how would this odd-shaped room impact reflections and low-end buildup? Does anyone have any recommendations for how they'd treat such a room?

0914181713a.jpeg0914181713a.jpeg

The room is 14.667' x 21.64' x 8 ' . I also store some giant absorption panels a built against the rear wall so there is approx. 6' x 7' x 2' deep of roxul safensound against the rear wall.

2 feet deep of Roxul? You would do better to put those into place around the room. Can you not set up your desk on the wall to the left in your pictures? The open doorway acts like a 'trap because nothing bounces back from it (unless there is a wall on the other side).
You can always put trap panels on 'legs' or hang from hooks and move them out of the way when not in use so you're not permanently blocking doors or windows.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the input. The roxul panels are used to create an isolation "room within a room". I've considered making movable traps, but I don't have a great place to keep them.

Well, the good news is that's a good sized room and unless it's an 8' ceiling it probably sounds Ok for a lot of recording without a ton of work.

I'd treat the walls - are those panels actually 2' thick, or (as the drawing suggests), a bunch of 6" ones? Are they floor to ceiling height? You suggest they're movable, so why not just hang them around on the walls and take them down if you need?

I'd consider a few permanent panels in the wall-ceiling join space - basically if you can't treat where 3 planes meet, try for 2. And, I'd still put a floor-ceiling trap in the one corner you can treat, as well as some on the walls at obvious early reflection points - not sure if you'll have a desk in there or it's just a studio space. If you have the funds or ability, you can make those look artsy.

Thanks so much for the advice Keith.

The ceiling is 8'. Is that a bad thing?

I'm trying to make the room for critical listening on one end and recording on the other.

I'm planning to make some smaller panels to deal with the primary reflections. The panels in the back of the room are honestly more like movable walls. They're each 6" thick and 6' w x 7 l'. I built them a while ago so I could move them around to create a temporary isolated room. It was probably a bad Idea.

I just have found that taller ceilings make that less of an issue both when recording or listening. For mixing you'd probably be better off with some treatment overhead. If you can source Rockboard (denser, and comes in 2" thickness), it can make the panels less of an intrusion, but I have a couple of single thickness Roxul Safe'n'Sound "clouds" over my desk chair area, i.e., where I'm always seated, so it's not really a problem. (Plus I'm not a tall person by any stretch.)

Why not start by spacing those big panels around the room, one on each wall (as [MENTION=39487]mjbphotos[/MENTION] suggests), and see how it sounds?

Ceiling clouds help fix a low ceiling.

Remember also that there are corners between the ceiling and walls that can also house bass traps.

Alan.

Back