corner bass trap question

allanploth

First of all, ethan, if you're reading this, many thanks to you for all the information you've provided here and elsewhere. It's very kind of you.

I'm intending to build some corner bass traps into my newly constructed basement recording studio, as illustrated at http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#bass traps (fig.3a), and I'm wondering if the 703 should extend all the way from floor to ceiling, or if it would work sufficiently to extend them from the floor up to 4 or maybe 6 feet in height; and also, would it be wise to cap them off on top with MDF or something?

Many thanks in advance to anyone with helpful suggestions.

Allan

Hi Allan,

> I'm wondering if the 703 should extend all the way from floor to ceiling, or if it would work sufficiently to extend them from the floor up to 4 or maybe 6 feet in height <

If you can run them from floor to ceiling, then you should do that. Basically, the more corner surface you cover, the better.

> would it be wise to cap them off on top with MDF or something? <

No. Porous absorbers like rigid fiberglass do not benefit from being enclosed. I have seen plans for home-made tube traps that call for sealing the tops and bottoms, and maybe that's what you're referring to? But if you think about it that's silly - you can't "seal" a porous material!

--Ethan

Back