Cork Panels

12milluz

So I was thinking...how would cork panels perform as paneling in the studio? Any sound absorbing qualities?

I have cork flooring in my mixing room, with an area rug in the middle. The cork floats on a soft foam moisture barrier so it has some give. I sealed it with a very good water-based polyurethane. With the coating, it is as durable as any other wood floor. It certainly absorbs more sound than tile or hardwood.

For a floor, I would recommend it. As for walls, I would look for something with better absorbtion.

What about carpet? ;)

Notice that most good studios tend to have wood floors. Wood has some give to it, especially soft woods like cork, especially when they are floated in on those click-down planks on top of a pad. Put an area rug on top of that and I think it would be better than just carpet. You essentially gain an extra layer of wood on top of the concrete beyond what just carpet provides.

Plus carpet is gross, in my opinion. You can't REALLY clean it, yet it occupies your room for years, gathering all sorts of crap from everyone who walks on it. No thanks. :)

Notice that most good studios tend to have wood floors. Wood has some give to it, especially soft woods like cork, especially when they are floated in on those click-down planks on top of a pad. Put an area rug on top of that and I think it would be better than just carpet. You essentially gain an extra layer of wood on top of the concrete beyond what just carpet provides.

Plus carpet is gross, in my opinion. You can't REALLY clean it, yet it occupies your room for years, gathering all sorts of crap from everyone who walks on it. No thanks. :)
I understand this about carpet, but the argument was that cork offers more absorption than wood; carpet offers more than cork. This isn't really of much benefit however, because it is far to thin to affect anything other the higher frequencies.

Back