condensed fiberglass info/where to buy thread

I called my local Lowes in Paducah Kentucky, and they can order 2" 4x8 sheets of 703 for $25 ea. Great price.
1" was only $12.50, but they said it was a "tongue and groove" kinda edge. The 2" would be better anyway.

I'd think any Lowes could do the same.

I called my local lowes and they didnt have a clue what I was talking about. Can you get us an item #??

Admittedly, I know the head of the contractor's desk, but they just called up Owens Corning and asked if they could get some 703 in 2" thickness. They didn't really know what they were asking for, but Owens Corning did, of course and they said "sure" and "How much do you want?"

Said there might be a small shipping charge if it was a single order.... like $25 or something small. But no shipping if they were sending some pink stuff too to fill the shelves. :)

btw, I got some even cheaper from my local lumber yard, who asked their OC distributor. They had some 1" that had been sitting in their warehouse for a long time and wanted to get rid of it. $8.96 for a 4x8 sheet of 1" ..... needless to say, I jumped on it.

**Posted this in other, non-sticky thread on same subject too**

For guys that want the stuff delivered to your door in the UK, just found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rockwool-RWA45-Acoustic-Sound-Insulation-50mm-5-76m2_W0QQitemZ390059405778QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item5ad15a31d2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

He's selling 50mm sheets in packs of 8, each 600mm x 1200mm for £20 (delivered) That's about £3.50m2.

You'll probably find it cheaper if you want to drive around, but for sheer convenience it might be hard to beat.

**EDIT** Just noticed (after attempting to buy some) that there's a minimum order of 5 packs. So unless you can use/sell on that quantity you might want to try this place:

http://www.eviee.co.uk/Rockwool-RWA45-Slab-%28Red-Label%29.htm

No minimum order and a UK-wide delivery charge of £10 for the 50mm in a pack of 9, 600mm x 1200mm sheets.

This works out at £29.83 delivered, or £4.60 per m2

Hope that helps someone

Peter

Ooh... Can I just be really annoying and anal for a second?

'Fiberglass' is a brand name. The correct term is 'glass fibre' (or 'fiber', if you're American).

Sorry... :o

Dr. V

Central Virginia source

I have to plug McCormick's Insulation in Richmond, Virginia. Very nice people, they sell unface Johns-Manville Spin Glass for $1 a square yard. They even delivered it for free.

I have to plug McCormick's Insulation in Richmond, Virginia. Very nice people, they sell unface Johns-Manville Spin Glass for $1 a square yard. They even delivered it for free.

I googled that company and there is one in my area

Southern California Area:

Supplier: Ganahl Lumber - Special order items at Corona and Lake Forest locations. Not sure anywhere else. They may have to call their distributor for info.

Rigid Insulation: Knauf

Unfaced Batts: Ultra Touch R13
16.25" wide x 94" long (8 batts per bag; 84.88 total sq ft) - $69.49
24.25" wide x 94" long (8 batts per bag; 126.63 total sq ft) - $103.60

Home depot

I spoke with a sales guy at Home Depot today who said that they can special order anything Owens Corning. 703, 705, 707, everything. The only down side is that you have to order 5 cases for them to place the order. Their prices are pretty on par with everyone else that carries it, so if you're in need of lots of 703, Home Depot has the hookup.

My local Home Cheapo said they couldn't get 703. Same with Lowe's. Two independent supply houses were little help as well but one recommended Kamco. Kamco Supply Corp Bingo. I have one five miles away. 12 pack bag of 2" 703 panels for $75. I have five coming next week. No shipping (UPS is $20/6-piece bundle from ATS!!) Northeast USA.

lou

Just a note on the "perfectly safe" Ultratouch cotton insulation: while it works well, is pretty cost-effective and arguably much better than glass fiber (said by some to be "the next asbestos" not just for the hazard that come with inhaling glass but for the off-gassing as well), it may not be totally friendly. After attempting to use some with no special protective equipment as suggested by the manufacturer or vendor (I don't recall which), I developed ear and sinus irritation and a headache, even with an air purifier running less than ten feet away in the center of the room. Trimming and installation generated massive amounts of extremely fine dust which settled over the entire room and it also leaves a subtle but noticeable sort of residue on the hands. There are pictures of little children rolling around in and all but eating it in the promo pictures but if you're planning on hanging some, I'd suggest you break out the paint mask until you've got it covered with fabric.

Current findings around the metro Detroit area:

Insulation Sales of Ferndale sells OC703 2"x2'x4' at $1.06 sq.ft. and in 96sq.ft. cases, 12 pieces per box.

Mechanical Insulation Supply of Redford sells Roxul 6lb density non-rigid at $0.91 per piece, 10 pieces per box.

On bobgolds, does anyone know what "type A" mounting means? Ultratouch is rated with type A mounting, as opposed to OC with on the wall and 16" air.

"O.K. My local HD carries Safe and sound. Found this thread on a search. Gonna go back and read all the threads later. Question, should I get that stuff ???"

Safensound is pretty good, but not as good as the Ultratouch from Bonded Logic.

"O.K. My local HD carries Safe and sound. Found this thread on a search. Gonna go back and read all the threads later. Question, should I get that stuff ???"

Safensound is pretty good, but not as good as the Ultratouch from Bonded Logic.

Both are good absorbers. All my traps are made with Roxul - I just got two more cases of safe-n-sound

Back