Commercial bass traps vs home made bass traps

paw1

Hi folks!

In the process of planning a big upgrade to my humble home studio: Acoustic treatment!

I'm going to start with bass traps. I've looked at different commercial brands like (surprise surprise) Auralex and Vicoustic.

Auralex Acoustics - Acoustic foam bass trap products.
:. Welcome to Vicoustic .:

What strikes me as odd is the "foamy" appearance of the traps. How can foam cancel long waves?

If I'm going to spend money on products like these, I need to know if they work or not. If DIY traps will work as good or better, and cost less, I'm all for it.

I also need to take care of first reflection points. Is it possible to build these, or will I be better off with commercial absorbers?

I'm a quality-over-quantity type of guy and would much rather spend more money on getting something good, rather than less to get a bunch of shit:thumbs up:

Best regards

paw

You are correct in believing that foam does not stop room modes and other destructive low frequency interference. Thick traps made from fiberglass, mineral wool, etc are much more effective, and are much more cost friendly too (and look better, IMO)

We actually did a test with our standard 244 Bass Traps in a room against some foam corner "bass traps" to see the differences each made in the room. You can compare the data here: Comparing Foam to GIK 244 Bass Traps

Regardless of which company you go with, go with one that has testing data, that uses friendly materials, that are fire-safe, that will look great, and will help you out through and after the sale. That is, hopefully for a reasonable price.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions:)

I've heard that Rockwool is the way to go when building your own traps.

A bunch of questions:
1. How low can these traps go in regards to frequency cancellation (hz)?
2. How thick do you recommend them to be?
3. Are there any other materials that works better?
4. Does it matter what materials you pack the traps in? Thinking acoustic properties as well as fire safety.

I'm not going to hang them to the wall. Most probably I'll make a stand for them and break up the "squareness" of the room by placing them in corners.

This forum rocks!:thumbs up:

Best regards

paw

GIK, that's how I imagine a real trap to look like. Your curves are so much hotter than foamy's ;)

Back