closet or pvc frame vocal booth????

jugalo180

www.moneyistherecipe.com
i have read threads on both of these techniques, but i want to know which renders the best noticeable results for vocals? i heard that: a closet with clothes is good, a closet with foam may be better, and a pvc lined with blankets is good. i also read that a pvc lined with blankets will sound better because a closet vocal booth treated with clothing will still reflect the low frequencies from the walls, and that a pvc framed booth is better because it has nothing to reflect. i even hear some people record out in the open to produce results than the closet.

my question to you is which is better?

1. closet treated with comforters or blankets

2. closet treated with foam

3. pvc pipe draped with comforters or blankets

Hi jugalo.
I think, as always, economics dictate.
Obviously a properly treated, broad banded diffused vocal booth would be ideal, but for many of us, that simply isn't an obtainable goal.

I have tried recording vocals in a walk-in closet, full of clothes, and out in the open room.
Most vocals, by the very nature of the technique are close miked, therefore; room ambience has less to do with the quality of the vocals.

There are exceptions to this of course, and most notably are the types of mikes you choose to consider while tracking. For instance, a vintage ribbon mike like an RCA 77DX benefits greatly by having some space or air between the element and the source. So room ambience has a greater influence on the quality of the sound.

Conversely, a large dia. condensor will of course exhibit a proximity effect while close miking, and that may be very desireable but the room is less of a factor.

I have not tried the PVC frame method.

If it were me, and you have a nice walk-in closet to use, then I would consider some treatment for that space and use it.

thanks mike

i am using my closet, which is treated with comforters. i am using a large diaghram condenser mic. those comments on the wall reflecting low end sparked my curiousity. i heard this hip hop mix a few days ago and the vocals sounded nice to say they were recorded in a plane apartment room. i was just curious on phasing from the closet walls, and open room. i figured the pvc method would eliminate that all together, thus giving me more headroom in the reverb.

I went with a different approach. I use cubicle panels. I hook 2 together 'L' shaped. I put the mic in the corner. Depending on the reflections I'm looking for I either put another 'L' shape behind or leave it open. The cloth on the panels warm up the sound. If I need to be a little more dead I can put Packing blankets or Sleeping bags over the panels. Because I use 2 panels at I time I move them around my room for different applacations. BTW the panels cost me $10 each at a used office furniture store.

cool

very creative. i still need to know which will render better results; open, closed with treated wall, closed without wall?

Back