Clap For The Wolfman

SoundCard

Hope this turns out to be a wonderful year for all you/us audiophiles.

My ?uestions: How short should a hand-clap echo be, in a room with reasonable acoustics? Is there any sound which could be used which would yield more info on this?...a finger snap, hitting two spoons together?

Measuring the recorded waveform is easy so I was just wondering.

~ray

ElevenWheelDrive.com

How big's the room? Generally, slapback echo (what you hear with a handclap) should be negated in a home studio because it is too quick to sound good in a recording.

Let me rephrase.......How long should a clap sound in a reasonably treated room? I can't seem to hear any echo but if I record the clap, ....how long should it show in a waveform? I measured mine and the whole clap sound is approx. 0.10 seconds long. I can't see any repeating peaks, ...just a steady diminishing waveform of 0.10 seconds long. Was just wondering if I might see an echo I'm not hearing.
Granted, not too scientific but I just thought I might learn ....Something. Haha.
Room is: 17.4L by 7.33W by 7.33H. (Ya, I know, ...the two 7.33's are unfortunate but "what it is, is what it is" -James Brown)

Two things you might try and/or consider.

A sharp 'clap in or around the center of the room -w/o the treatment there to prevent it, will 'chatter. So we might be talking 8 -- to 30 or so MS [1 MS/Ft approx) resonances. (AKA 'ring or 'lingering of any sounds). It's just easier to pick up on with a sharp spike or 'clack like that.

2) The Haas zone (in 'time, or one of the Haas effects)... 'Echos less than 10 to 30 MS or so (again depends on the source -'sharp or more sustained) tend to be heard (read; 'and recorded!) as part of the source.
So 'clarity of capture is in part.. not having in these reflections high in relative level.

Another way to catch it' is to record a voice -decent mic a foot or so away. Sing some that covers a good sample of low to mid-high male range. On play back see if you can eq to get all the notes to sound balanced'. 'Speakers in the same room makes for a good 'double whammy chase example.

Back