The ceiling's collapsing!

El Barto

Well this isn't good...my studio is upstairs in my house in an ex-bedroom, and apparently the ceiling below is starting to crack. I suspect the drums, namely the bass drum, as being the culpret, considering the large THUMP THUMP THUMPing will more likely cause cracks than a loud guitar. What can I do to stop/prevent/lessen such an occurence? Would building a drum platform be the best thing to do, or would that be wasting time? The floor is hard wood, would putting carpet and padding down do away with it? Any suggestions please...cause the next step would be closing the studio :\

I'd probably try heavy underfelt(2 layers perhaps) and carpet first. You'll also get a loss in sound transmission to the lower floor with this. Also maybe move the kit to closer to the walls??

Cheers
John :)

The kit's already in the corner, so I guess that's as close as it can get...same with the guitar amps and such. I'll try the underfelt idea (is that really what it's called? or is it just another name for felt?) and carpet. I can get a 5'x8' area rug from Home Depot pretty cheap.

As I was reading about your problem I was thinking, "this sounds familiar, I'll suggest some thick carpet..." then I saw John's reply.
If that doesn't work build a drum stage properly floated from the floor. If that doesn't work... well, I have no idea what to do then! :) So just screw the drums!! um... yeah....

The area rug I'm planning on getting isn't very thick...what should I put under it? What's the American equivilant of underfelt? :)

Back