Ceiling Prep

Hey guys. I am starting to design the ceiling layout for my track room. The dimensions are 10.6 x 12.6. This is the advice I am looking for. Will pop-corning the ceiling give me better results than a stucco effect for diffusion? Is it even worth the effort? Should I just hang some 2' x 8' absorption panels made for this type of sound treatment? Thanks for any and all advice.

The texture on the ceiling will make no difference. Hanging proper absorption panels would be the best unless...

Is this a property you own? Can you take out the ceiling drywall?

I do own the property. If it makes a difference, the roof is a 4-12 pitch and I have a standard attic pull down stair case with pretty decent access to this part of the house. I could remove the drywall but the benefit would have to be extreme for doing so.

If you can access the space between the studs (above the drywall), then stuff it full of insulation. Hang 2" (at least) thick rockwool panels above the drum area as well as your mixing area, if it is in the same room.
For vocal, acoustic guitar or close miking of amps, you don't really need to worry about ceiling reflections if the rest of the room sounds good (no slapback echo, etc).

I do own the property. If it makes a difference, the roof is a 4-12 pitch and I have a standard attic pull down stair case with pretty decent access to this part of the house. I could remove the drywall but the benefit would have to be extreme for doing so.

IMO: the best thing you could do here - with best results, would be to use that open space to stop reflections and absorb some low end buildup. Depending upon your budget, you would be best with cheap pink stuff in the ceiling with some type of covering that allows air/sound to get through. Cloth is the obvious choice but you could drop in a ceiling if you desire.

From conversation with JH Brandt, this is the best bet. High density absorption panels are worthy in a space where you can't get in the walls. Like if you rent a space and cant make the absorption part of the room, then you must make the best of the space with panels. If you have ability to open the ceiling? Then just fill it with the pink stuff and leave it either covered with cloth, or spaced panels of wood lattice if you want to get pretty.

The dense rockwool or OC 703/705 is actually a bit reflective. It is tough to decide where each is best used, but the fluffy cheap stuff in walls/ceiling actually performs better if you have the ability to use it in a build and open the cavity with something that allows sound to move freely.

This is just info I have learned over the last 10 years that we don't talk about much here. Most on this forum are just looking to make the best of their small rented bedroom.

Every room is different. A mixing room would not be treated the same as a recording room. But they will both benefit from acoustic treatment. It just depends on what you are looking for and the needs of the room.

I am just babbling what I have learned and have experience with myself. It does not mean it is right for you. It so far works great for me. You decide what you need.

If you can access the space between the studs (above the drywall), then stuff it full of insulation. Hang 2" (at least) thick rockwool panels above the drum area as well as your mixing area, if it is in the same room.
For vocal, acoustic guitar or close miking of amps, you don't really need to worry about ceiling reflections if the rest of the room sounds good (no slapback echo, etc).

Right. Actually I record vocals/acoustic guitars in my main room because it has a more open feel. The front portion is treated well and the rest of the room has panels staggered throughout. Last thing you want for acoustic guitar is a dead room. But you don't want to record in a cement wall basement either. Acoustic instruments need a space in order to be recorded well in my experience. Vocals fall in this category as well. The issue is controlling that space so that the room does not become an issue. It really isn't that tough once one gets out of the 10x10'x8' type bedroom. I am lucky that I have a much bigger space to find that.

Even then, it is possible to get good recordings even without treatment. It just better be the best of everything else....

At this time the insulation is 8" thick, doubled in between the trusses. This is the way it is throughout the entire house. I think I am going to go with the panels and 12 x 12s to cover 33% of the walls and ceiling for the track room. The control room will be a different design.

IMO: the best thing you could do here - with best results, would be to use that open space to stop reflections and absorb some low end buildup. Depending upon your budget, you would be best with cheap pink stuff in the ceiling with some type of covering that allows air/sound to get through. Cloth is the obvious choice but you could drop in a ceiling if you desire.

Even though this may be the best way, I would be concerned about the fiberglass particles coming through the material and becoming air born. If that was to happen and get into the AC system, it would be a mess.

Every room is different. A mixing room would not be treated the same as a recording room. But they will both benefit from acoustic treatment. It just depends on what you are looking for and the needs of the room.

I am setting up the room to record close mic'ed instrumental and vocals. I will build a three sided 2' x 6' vocal shield like the one pictured below to complement the sound treatment. I have seen these in action and they work surprisingly well and the fact that they are mobile, makes it a good choice to fit my needs. Kinda like a face shield on steroids. It will come in handy for remote recordings as well.

View attachment 100380

The concerns of fiberglass becoming airborne are not an issue if contained. In fact, it is not even an issue if you didn't. Fiberglass does not cause cancer or lung disease as so many portray. It is however irritating to most. Rockwool is likely even worse in that respect. I personally don't have much aversion to either as I have had years of working with both.

Anyway, make your own decisions based on what works for you. Take advice as you see fit. :)

I do not want to take the chance of exposing anyone that may have a reaction to the effects of either breathing in or coming into contact with air born particles of fiberglass. Myself, I have a reaction with insulation, mostly rashes and itching. Thanks for all the advice guys! I will look into a cloud system using wrapped panels.

I do not want to take the chance of exposing anyone that may have a reaction to the effects of either breathing in or coming into contact with air born particles of fiberglass. Myself, I have a reaction with insulation, mostly rashes and itching. Thanks for all the advice guys! I will look into a cloud system using wrapped panels.

This is why we cover with cloth. There will be no particulates coming out. Well, maybe if you use the panel as a punching bag...RAMI might have done that... lol

This is why we cover with cloth. There will be no particulates coming out. Well, maybe if you use the panel as a punching bag...RAMI might have done that... lol

Honestly Jimmy, that system is the dumbest system I have ever hear of. In fact, you are the only person who has ever mentioned it in my 90 day research concerning this issue. If you cover it with cloth that allowed sound to travel through it, that same cloth will allow particles to fall through it. Now add in the fact that the ALA, OSHA and the MAYO CLINIC claims that breathing fiberglass particles could, and I restate could, cause cancer, is just plain idiotic to see if you will be the 1 in a million it does not effect. I am DONE with this subject! If you want to use this system, run with it! Myself, I would be ashamed to even mention it! From a licensed contractors point of view, I know better!

Last edited:
Honestly Jimmy, that system is the dumbest system I have ever hear of. In fact, you are the only person who has ever mentioned it in my 90 day research concerning this issue. If you cover it with cloth that allowed sound to travel through it, that same cloth will allow particles to fall through it. Now add in the fact that the ALA, OSHA and the MAYO CLINIC claims that breathing fiberglass particles could, and I restate could, cause cancer, is just plain idiotic to see if you will be the 1 in a million it does not effect. I am DONE with this subject! If you want to use this system, run with it! Myself, I would be ashamed to even mention it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Best to you then in your endeavors. I might be dumb to you but that is how it is done. BTW, fiberglass and rockwool are listed as irritants. It is not a cancer causing material. Get your facts straight. If the fibers in the pink stuff and rockwool are so dangerous, how would it be allowed by OSHA in installations without hazmat suits? I think you are taking internet BS to heart. Hell, my wife looks up Web MD when she gets a pain and all lead to the worst case scenario.

Though just breathing air seems to cause cancer, so maybe we are all dumb for breathing...

Best to you then in your endeavors. I might be dumb to you but that is how it is done.

I have never said that nor have I ever given that impression to anyone in this community! And i promise you that IS NOT how it is done.

BTW, fiberglass and rockwool are listed as irritants. It is not a cancer causing material. Get your facts straight.

I will contact the American Lung Association as well as the Mayo Clinic and tell them that their research is incorrect, according to Jimmy! I am sure they will be relived!

If the fibers in the pink stuff and rockwool are so dangerous, how would it be allowed by OSHA in installations without hazmat suits?

It is not the installation they are concerned with, it is the REMOVAL!

I think you are taking internet BS to heart. Hell, my wife looks up Web MD when she gets a pain and all lead to the worst case scenario.

I really don't give a FUCK what your wife does!

Though just breathing air seems to cause cancer, so maybe we are all dumb for breathing...

Really, tell that to the widows and fatherless children of the brave men and women who raced into the towers 15 years ago. They are dieing of lung cancer as I write this and we have stripped them of the protection we promised them to begin with. You understand my point Jimmy? Your suggestion is 100% FUCKING BULL SHIT!

You need to chill the fuck out dood...

It's called Dude first of all. Maybe you need to chill out before you start to rant and rave. I have read stronger language in your post Jimmy, said by you. I am done with this post. Your advice will be disregarded when it comes to MY decision, concerning this issue.

You are comparing a catastrophic event to simple use of a material that is found to be safe. There are so many materials that were used in construction of the towers that are not safe if used incorrectly and there are standards as to how they are worked with in construction. All that goes out the window when someone destroys a building. Do not try to make me a dick for suggesting proper install and usage of products.

You need to check yourself and not blame me for giving advice for acoustic treatment at today's standards. If you want to start a fight, then start somewhere other than here. I am just stating how it is done now in approved ways.

I don't expect you to give a fuck about my wife. I would never judge yours. What the hell was that about? No need to act like a dick man. Take a moment and chill dood.

You are comparing a catastrophic event to simple use of a material that is found to be safe. There are so many materials that were used in construction of the towers that are not safe if used incorrectly and there are standards as to how they are worked with in construction. All that goes out the window when someone destroys a building. Do not try to make me a dick for suggesting proper install and usage of products.

You need to check yourself and not blame me for giving advice for acoustic treatment at today's standards. If you want to start a fight, then start somewhere other than here. I am just stating how it is done now in approved ways.

I don't expect you to give a fuck about my wife. I would never judge yours. What the hell was that about? No need to act like a dick man. Take a moment and chill dood.

Jimmy, for the love of God, stop! I brought you wife in because you brought her in first! Are you stoned, drunk or just plain stupid? Open fiberglass insulation in a recording studio? REALLY? Give me a FUCKING BREAK! Better yet, please provide a link to a Professional Studio that uses this system.

It's called Dude first of all. Maybe you need to chill out before you start to rant and rave. I have read stronger language in your post Jimmy, said by you. I am done with this post. Your advice will be disregarded when it comes to MY decision, concerning this issue.

Whatever makes you happy 'dude'. You are deciding to start a argument with someone who does not wish to argue. I am only giving advice on my experience and knowledge. I seriously only wish to help you.

Sincerely, calm down dude! :) WTF?

Sincerely, calm down dude! :) WTF?

That is one of the bennies of being 56 years old Jimmy, I am calm. I have a brother just like you, his name is Jimmy as well. He will start an argument and then blame it on everyone else. Simply put, your advice on this thread is 100% incorrect concerning fiberglass. Please tell you wife, I am sorry she was brought in to this putrid conversation. If you persist in this battle, you will be the first person I add to my "Foe" list.

Back